1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 14-42 MSC focus sound?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jff1625, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    Hi,
    My 14-42II R MSC (kit lens with E-PM1) makes a constant ticking sound which is clearly audible in video. I found that the noise goes away when I switch to manual focus, BUT whenever I turn the focus ring the noise comes back even worse than in AF mode.

The noise is not really audible when taking stills, and I don't use video very much. It would be nice, however, to be able to grab a quick video every now and then, without having to worry about a separate audio source, or completely replacing the audio, but that doesn't seem to be an option with this particular lens.

I thought the whole point of the "MSC" designation was that it wasn't supposed to make noises like that. Did I get a bad lens? Should I return it?

thx,
    J

2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    You thought right. It's not supposed to make noise that can be heard on the video. I have the MSCII on my E-PL2 and the MSCII-R on my E-PM1 and neither of them have ever made a sound like that. Nor has the MSCII-R on my daughter's E-PM1.

You might want to talk to Olympus about it (or return it, if you're still within the return window. Returning is usually easier if you bought from one of the Big Three [Amazon, Adorama, B&H]).

EDIT: Ooops.... I notice now that you're in London. Don't know what retailer return policies are in GB, so ignore my last sentence above.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Mine makes a quiet hum when shooting video, but only if the autofocus mode is set to C-AF (which it is by default). Turn it to S-AF and it is silent.

But a ticking noise sounds more like a defective lens motor.

DH

4. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    here's an example (I hope this works!)
    <object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150615932053664" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150615932053664" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd say you have a defective AF motor.

DH

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Funny - I was about to write "that sounds faulty" but before I did I went to check mine (on an E-P3). It's exactly the same! Now I'm wondering if mine is defective too or if this is just the way it is. I think I hadn't noticed before because I had video focus set to manual. FWIW I'm in the UK too so if it's defective maybe they are from the same batch? I'll be interested to see how this pans out...

7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Interesting. After a little more playing it seems to be not related to actual focusing. In low light I can trick the camera into focus failure (all blurred and not trying any more) and the noise continues.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    C-AF should make some noise (a very soft humming). The other noise you can sometimes get is from the aperture adjusting, but that only happens if the lighting changes.

DH

9. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    The 45mm makes exactly the same sound. Though I can hear a different (additional) buzz of the focusing motor. Strange. Next I'll try my 14-140...

Right, the 14-140 is effectively silent.

All tests were done in fully manual video mode (but with C-AF on) so the aperture should have remained fixed.

10. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    Here's another test video, with varying background sound level. You can hear the ticking sound cutting in and out as the background sound level changes.
    On the basis of this I'd say it's definitely related to the background noise level / gain, not light level, unlike that PL25 "rattlesnake" issue on the same body.

Olympus E-PM1 Kit lens video noise test - YouTube
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/uw0YLv8A3wc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/uw0YLv8A3wc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

• Like Like x 1
  11. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    I went down to Jessops today and tried out the shop demo copy of the same lens (in black). It had the same issue. I'm starting to suspect they're all like that. Can anybody else try it out? (preferably someone outside the UK so we can rule out the "bad batch" theory.

In other news - my 20mm just shipped!!! Excited!!!

12. letsgocoyote

letsgocoyote Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    The 14-42 MSC does make what is to me a very very quiet purr of the focus motor in C-AF. In situations where there is little to no ambient noise in the video, the camera uses the automatic gain control to really kick up the amplification on the mics. If you film a video where there is actual noise happening, the camera compensates and lowers the gain, and the motor noise will not be apparent.

another issue is that there is a physical connection between the body and the lens, so the in camera mic sort of picks up these sounds/vibrations easier.

the SEMA-1 mic does help with this problem in my experience, if it is that bothersome. the 14-42 is still the quietest lens for c-af ive tried yet and I'd have no qualms using it.

• Like Like x 1