Oly 14-42 lens question ?

klythawk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
Hi

New owner of the E-P1 from today. Sorry for the noob question but here goes, is the 14-42 lens totally manual in operation apart from AF. I was under the impression that when the lens was fitted to the body and power was switched on the lens expanded and retracted when powered down, or am i confused with some thing else. BTW, i'm not referring to the zoom part of the lens, just how its all contained in the barrel. Apologies if i haven't worded the question very well, i'm sure someone knows what i'm trying to say. Thanks for any assistance.

John.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
No, the lens does not expand and contract automatically, you have to manually turn it - and you'll note there's that little switch on the side that has to be pushed in order to "open" and "close" the lens down to its more pancake like size. It does have auto focus and everything else that any of the regular made for :43: lenses have.

I may not be savvy enough to offer you the answers your looking for, but if not I'm sure someone else will come along to help out.

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Im not quite sure what your trying ask... but here it goes... the lens expansion/retraction is basically the signal of the body to lens that the lens is already connected to the body (based on my analysis). As regards to the manual thing.. its not a totally manual lens since the aperture and shutter speed can be set automatically and manually via the body's operation.... Was my understanding regarding your question correct?

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Actually, the switch is only needed for closing...

Hi and Welcome!

The lens can be opened/extended by simply turning the body of the lens. When you want to reverse the process, the switch needs to be actuated.

Zooming is 'manual' (compared to a P&S, but comparable to an SLR), focusing, aperture, shutter speed can all be manual or auto.

Hope this helps!

klythawk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
Thanks everyone. The lens works fine like you have advised. The doubt has only come about from when i was playing with the E-P1 in a shop a few months ago, and for some reason i got it in my head that when the cam was switched on the lens partly extended from the barrel, i must have been dreaming. Cheers.

John.

pete

Mu-43 Regular
personally I think its an ugly look when the lens pertrudes from the main barrel. But hey, this is my first few days with my new ep2 and im loving it....cheers

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Some people love it, others hate it. I am one that loves the collapsable feature. I can keep the camera out with the lens extracted when taking pictures. I can keep the camera out with the lens retracted when I'm not. I don't have to worry about a lens protuding out and hitting something while I'm out with the camera.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I've only just started using it a bit - this lens - and have been enjoying it. Long term once some other lenses appear, I'm not sure what I'll do but it's handy along with the 20mm 1.7 or the 17mm.

And I'm with you DJ - I like the fact that it collapses!

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Is it possible to make a zoom lens that doesn't extend in length while zooming in and out? If physically possible, it would be awesome to have a small 14-42 that is as small as the current 14-42 in its retracted state. Would really make the m4/3 cameras truly portable.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
thou shall not maketh cheap plasticy kit zooms that art flimsy lieth upon the metal ep1,

thou shall not covet thy neighbors lens.....

thou.................

......................with a holy hand grenade,.............amen

Latest threads

Top Bottom