Oly 14-42 L and a 14-42R kit lens, or Pana 14-45 kit lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVENS1, Feb 23, 2016.

1. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    I came across a e-pl5, couldn't pass up on the deal with two kit lenses 14-42R and 40-150R
    Currently own a e-pl3 and two kit lenses 14-42L and 40-150 ED.

Would I be better off swapping out the two Oly 14-42 lenses for a Pana 14-45 kit lens?

And regarding the zooms, should I keep one over the other or replace them with something else in the same zoom range?

You guys have more hands on experience with these lenses than I do. Trying to get a feel what I am better off with to get the best pictures that I might be capable of.

I have to work within the budget of the lenses mentioned, hopefully without having to add extra funds into the mix of new lenses.

I mostly used my pens for close-ups with the Oly 50mm Macro but, would like to get out more and take outdoor scenic shots etc. 2016-557c.

caty3.JPG bugster1.JPG

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    From what I've read around the 14-45 is the best lens, a little better even then the R version. With a little patience you can get one for a very good price, so you may even make the swap with no loss, one lens for the other.

There is not a real better alternative to the 40-150 at a similar price, also consider that today you can get one new for $99. Unless short tele prime lenses like Sigma 60/2.8 or the Oly 45/1.8 could be of interest.

The new 40-150 should have better AF, same IQ but considering you'll have all these lenses together at the same time you can take a few test shots with your specific samples to see how big the differences is and if it is significant to you.

A used 12-32 could be an option: you get the 12mm (a significant difference) and a really small lens for a pocketable combo. And you can make it even wider with the DMW-GWC1 up to 9mm with a little vignetting (fixable in PP) or cropping to 16:9.

Or get the WCON‑P01 wide converter for the 14-42 giving you a 11mm lens.

You could also get a small flash (Metz, Meike) for macro work.

Unless you have some well defined needs maybe the best option is to sell what you do not use and to put money in a piggy-bank to get something later (the upcoming Pana 12-60 for example seems like an interesting lens).

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Another vote here for the 12-32. It's better optically than any of the Oly or Panasonic kit zooms, is way smaller and it goes to 12mm (but obviously stops at 32!).