Oly 14-42 kit lens worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by crashwins, Jun 8, 2013.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Got one in a trade bundle. Can't get much for it, but is it any good at 14mm? I realize this is the on FL I don't have covered. Probably not worth ever having it on my body.

How is it for video?
  2. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    I like my E-P3's 14-42 kit lens and have no plans to loose it on purpose. It's light, has a useful range, and produces nice images. Your millage may vary.
  3. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    The 14-42 is the only lens I have for my epl-2. Been using it for over 2 years now. Have thought about getting the p-14mm but have not pulled the trigger. Thinking about saving my pennies for the p12-35. Take a look at my gallery, all are shot with the 14-42. I enjoy the size and weight of the 14-42.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well - it's slow, has a plastic lens mount and so-so IQ. But - it's small, light, cheap and can pull off good shots. I have kept mine, but TBH, it's some time since I used it. I think this was the last shot I used it for - and that was back in Feb :

5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
  6. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Great thanks. What's it worth used on the forum you think?
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    In my opinion the IQ of all Olympus' 14-42 lenses is good, especially compared to other manufacturers.
    I don't use mine only because I hate that unwinding before use thing ... and I have other lenses.
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    A mark II version had an asking price of $90 on May 15th:

May 2nd had one at an asking value of $85:

I've held onto my MK I simply because it isn't worth much in resale value, and it sits on my backup body (the EPL-1).

The MK I image thread is here:

The MK II image thread is here:

9. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Thanks! Which version comes with the EPL-1 kit?
  10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I don't know if the EPL-1 kit was ever fitted with the MK-II or not.

There's an easy way to determine which you have, the MK-I has a metal mount and the MK-II has a plastic mount.

More info here:

Olympus Pen 14-42mm MKI vs 14-42mm MKII

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The 14-42mk1. The most obvious difference is that the front ring rotates when focusing.

Optically, it's actually decent, but I found the AF frustratingly slow on that lens, especially at near distances.
  12. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Only the E-P1 and E-P2 kits were with metal mounts. My E-PL1 kit lens came with a plastic mount.

Even being a slow lens with slow focus, I like it a lot.

Sent from my XT890 using Mu-43 mobile app
  13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    On the kit lens of the E-PL1 it says 14-42mm L ED.
    For landscape stills it is excellent - very sharp and beautiful colors - superior to the more modern 14-42 IIR kit lens.
    Focusing in low light, however, is slow. And for video use it makes alot of focus noise. The IIR, on the other hand focuses fast and silently. So I use the L ED for bright light stills (e.g. landscapes) and the IIR for everything else.