1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 14-150mm + Marumi Achromat 200 macro shots

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Art, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Macro with Oly 14-150mm lens and Marumi Achromat 200 (+5 diopter). ISO200, f20 and small external manual flash Nikon SB-30. Handheld and AF. The fly shot is at 150mm showing max. magnification before you crop.
    P9053847.
    P9053832.
    P9053845.

• Like Like x 6
  2. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Awesome images, especially the 2nd one with the fly, which is just a tad sharper in the right spots than the other two. My eye keeps on coming back to that one.

Just curious - why f20?

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Close-up lenses dramatically reduce DoF so very small apertures must be used to keep subjects in focus. I usually use f18-22 depending on the light.

• Like Like x 1
  4. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Do you ever find that the negative effects of diffraction outweigh the greater DOF achieved when using small apertures?

It's probably different when close focusing (I don't claim to grasp the science behind the optics 100%), but I noticed the Oly 14-42mm doesn't render images very well when going up to the f20 range, for example.

Anyway, maybe this is a discussion for another thread!

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Not sure I see the effects of diffraction on macro. Images are still sharp at f22 even at 150mm when I can nail the shot. I bet you'll see some diffraction if you shoot landscapes at f22. Thin DoF is by far the greatest enemy of macro, diffraction does't come close, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You are correct Art, usually you don't see diffraction in most macro shots due to the narrow DOF. My guess is the diffraction is sort of absorbed in the so called back-ground. It does show if you're stacking a rather large number of shots.
    By the way, I like these shots, nice work. I know taking these kinds of photos in the field is not that easy.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It was actually surprisingly easy with AF, just like regular shots. AF didn't work with Raynox 250, therefore I got rid of it. But with Marumi 200 and 14-150mm I get very fast AF and exposure preview. I can not imagine taking these shots using DSLR and viewfinder at f22! Thankfully E-PL2 can flash sync at 1/400s combined with IBIS camera shake is not a problem at 150mm

8. Three nice shots there (and well done nailing the focus in the first one).

Totally agree.

Like you, I use small apertures for close-ups. When the subject fills much of the frame I almost always use f/22 to try to get as much of it sharp as possible. For contextual shots where the subject is smaller in the frame I may use larger apertures to blur the background a bit, as long as all of the subject remains tolerably sharp.

You might be interested to take a look at the five images here. As you move through from f/5.6 to f/22 the DOF increases significantly. There is presumably a loss of sharpness going on too, but I think it is overwhelmed, exactly as you suggest, by the increase in DOF. The overall impression, at least to my eye, is that the image is getting more detailed (if not exactly sharper) all the way to f/22.

9. Interesting. I wonder why not. I use AF with the 250 (also with the 150 and the Canon 500D) on the G3.

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Which lens do you use it with? I wasn't able to successfully AF raynox 250 with E-PL2 and 40-150mm lens at longer FL.

11. Panasonic 45-200mm. I have certainly used the 500D and 150 at all focal lengths in the field. I don't recall if I have used the 250 at 200mm in the field yet (I haven't had the G3 long and don't do a huge amount at the smaller scale), although I have definitely used it for testing, with no problem, for example the aperture/DOF examples I linked to in my previous post, which were at 200mm with the 250.