1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

oly 14-150mm 4.0-5.6 dead?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by randyspan, Jul 30, 2014.

1. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    All of a sudden my Oly 14-150 4.0-5.6 won't work, just shows black in the finder. And it's only 5 weeks since I bought it! I will have warrantee nightmare! ( I cleaned the contacts with an eraser )...anything else I can try? Other lenses work just fine.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Don't take this as an insult, but did you check to see if the lens cap was left on the lens?

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What body is it on?

4. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    Lens cap off! Oly E-M10 body.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    It might not be fully seated when you attached it. My 45mm has often behaved like this. Remount the lens and wiggle it. It's got to click into place.

6. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    The lens is fully seated. I'm on firmware 1.0, maybe upgrading to 1.1 will fix? (I don't think so)

7. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    ...well long story... called olympus to check on the lens I sent in for warrantee, they say they can find nothing wrong with the lens. But they would "escalate" the case#. I using it on a M10, but I have no other olympus lenses to check the camera is not the problem. All my other lenses are adapted (Canon FD) and a 9mm BCL (no electronics). I have no immediate plans to purchase an olympus lens, and there are no camera stores locally that sell olympus. So I'm kind of hosed!

8. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I've just purchased an OMD E-M10 to replace my trusty E-PL2 and I'm using my Olympus 14-150 lens alongside the 14-42 EZ lens.

So far no problems with either lens, AF performance is similar and no problems with a blank viewfinder. All lenses and the camera have been checked and updated with the Olympus software. It's early days with the E-M10 but the 14-150 must be 3-4 years old and it's never missed a beat.

I hope you get your issue resolved, it's a great do-anything lens for packing light.

Marco

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Most of these issues happen because someone has not fully seated the lens in place, but it could be the electronics in the camera.For $20 shipping, your EM10 can also go to Olympus and it's still under warranty?

10. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    - Sent it in 4 times... Still would not work. Finally got in touch with someone at Olympus that said "enough!" and replaced the lens. The new one works perfectly.

11. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Good to hear that Olympus finally came good.

Glad that you had a happy ending!

12. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    It sounds like it took time, but it's nice to see things solved this way.