1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 14-150 a problem on GX1?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by byron2112, Jul 21, 2012.

1. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Looking at superzooms, and the prices on the refurbished Oly are quite fair right now... also like the lighter weight on a smaller body.

Is the lack of stabilization a deal breaker or not such a big thing?

Also wondering if there's much difference in image quality between the Panny 14-140 and Oly 14-150?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I think you'll be very unpleasantly surprised if you're planning to hand-hold a lens that long without stabilization.

3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1 here..

4. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Thanks for bursting my bargain bubble. :biggrin:

5. jpil

jpil Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    +2

6. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    I'm not real experienced, but it seems I've read several posts about IS not being a "deal breaker" with lenses(yes some with reach), and that good use can still be made by utilizing the right "technique" holding the camera... I'm not totally clear on these techniques, but I suspect they're not unlike those used to accurately shoot firearms from various positions...

It certainly does seem valid that shooting at the long end of this lens would at the least require a mono pod or something else handy and solid to brace part of the camera against... but that's why I come here too ask this knowledgeable bunch. :)

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Someone posted some images recently with G3 and the 14-150 that looked just fine. I asked him about it since I also have a GX1, he didn't think it was an issue. Will you be using it with the viewfinder? I think that would help a lot with stability.

In daytime, when shutter speeds are very high, I think it'd be quite alright. Many people turn off the IS anyway when it's not needed (shutter speeds high enough) because it can only mess up an image.

I've been tempted by that lens as well, since it seems like a perfect one in all zoom that is much smaller than the Panasonic 14-140 equivalent. I would try it with a cheaper Olympus lens like 40-150 first though just to see how it works out.

[

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Here's the secret to using a lens without IS on a micro four-thirds camera body without IS: Just keep your shutter speed at least as fast as the full-frame equivalent focal length that you're using.

That is, if you're zoomed all the way out to 150mm (300mm equivalent), make sure your shutter speed is 1/300th of a second or faster. Of course, this may limit you a bit when your aperture can't be any larger than f/5.6 at 150mm on that lens. If you find this to be the case, then just bump up to the next ISO level. But you'll probably be using telephoto only when you're outdoors during daylight hours anyway. And, yes, holding the camera against your face while using a viewfinder does help.

IS is a handy tool but photographers did just fine without it for more than a century.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Hand-holding telephotos in all but the very best light is arguably a rather recent development.

10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I would say you could get by without IS but your "keeper" rate will probably be lower than you'd like. If you decide to do it remember to use that ISO and don't be afraid to go to 1600 on the GX1. 3200 might be usable for some things, that depends on your eyes and PP noise reduction.

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Oh, absolutely. Going way back - in relative terms - such shots required a tripod. Then the cameras and lenses got better. The solutions changed and evolved but images were taken without IS for many decades. Stabilization is a great development - it gives one options that never existed before. But one can generally get around its absence with good technique.

12. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Thanks for the responses all... I'm going to try it out on a Oly 40-150 and see how I make out.

13. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    I'd be interested to hear how you'll fare with that combination, as I'm considering the same :)

14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I've been shooting with a 14-150 on a few days recently with my e-pl3 and IS off, there's nothing unmanageable about it - just keep an eye on your shutter speed.

I wouldn't rely on it indoors or in low light, but daytime walkaround it's fine. Depends on what you want it for really, as long as you're aware of the trade-offs I've found it really useful.

You just need to learn what the combination's capable of on your camera - and the better high ISO on your GX1 can only help.