oly 12mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jaiho, Aug 29, 2012.

1. jaiho

jaiho Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2012
    Mumbai,India
    Hi,

Is the oly 12mm really worth the almost US$ 800 price tag?

I am looking for a wide angle lens for my OM-D EM5. Already have a oly 45mm.

Thanks,

Jaiho

2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    The Oly 12 is my favorite lens for m4/3. I think it has a special rendering to it that really can't be beat, and I much prefer 24mm to 28mm. If you have the money, spend it--you won't regret it. That said, the Panny 14mm (probably its chief competition) is considered by many to be the best value in m4/3, so if you don't have the money, it's probably pretty good too. I don't have one--the Oly 12 was the first m4/3 lens that really fell in love with, and it stays on my camera more than any other.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    There's also the SLR 12mm 1.6, manal focus only. Retails for about $500 except Adorama who dings $550.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    You're the only one who can decide. It's certainly a high quality lens, but quality comes with a high price tag. What kind of photography do you prefer? Do you use a wide angle enough to justify the expense? Do you make money with your photography? Lots of questions that only you can answer. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I have it and I think it's build construction is what justifies it's cost more than anything. IQ is excellent but I still don't see it (plus the ~1/2 f stop advantage) justifying it's price when the 14/2.5 can be bought separated from a kit new at 170usd. But hey, if you don't agree with Olympus' pricing, I've seen a few O12s floating on the B&S thread for 650ish -- now at that price, there's no debate that it's worth it.:biggrin:

6. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    the focus to infinity scale when you click to MF is great, i wish some other lenses had this facility in the mu4/3 lineup

• Like Like x 1
  7. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Refurbs also go for around $670.

8. jaiho

jaiho Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2012
    Mumbai,India
    Thank you all for your opinions. I am hobby photographer. Untill now was doing shooting street photography but now want to learn the wide angle aspect and do some architecture/landscape stuff.

Looks like I will go with the oly 12mm. (My wife is not gonna be happy ;) )

Many thanks once again,

Jaiho

9. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Something else to consider: The Oly 12mm is one of these lenses that is legendary. As such, I think it will hold its value over time. If you can buy it used in the $600-650 range, I don't think you will loose much money if any for owning it. (Don't know about the used lens market you have access to from your area though.)

10. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    You might want to wait till the Limited Edition Black versions are released in the case you want one or you may be able to pick up a used silver one from someone looking to get a black one.

11. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I was torn between the 12mm and the 7-14mm, and I went with the 12mm. It's a great lens (always on my OMD and GX1) and the only time I have regrets over my decision is when I look through the 7-14 image thread. IMO, the 12 is worth the money but I'll second shizle's suggestion on waiting for the black version (the silver finish is the only real compliant I have about this lens).

I could have sworn that there was a forum member that listed a new 12mm for under $700.

12. jaiho

jaiho Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2012
    Mumbai,India
    The black (if i can get) oly 12mm on my black OMD would be awesome!!!!

13. jaiho

jaiho Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2012
    Mumbai,India
    Finally bought the Pany 20mm. Checked out the Oly 12mm and found it a little too wide.

Thank you for your inputs. Planning some short trips next month. Will keep you posted.

Thanks once again.

14. kartonos

kartonos Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    12mm is my dream lens, but the arrival of Panasonic 12-35 keeping me in doubt whether I should stick with prime or zoom lenses... 24-70 in 35mm is a sweet spot for my daily use, but 12mm has it's own charm when rendering the final picture...

Also, 7-14mm also in my dream list - know that I really needed UWA lens for my future trip.

15. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    Where I find my O12 really comes in handy is on a night out, say at a restaurant. I find you need the wide angle to fit everyone in the shot and also need a wide aperture like f/2 in the low light. Nothing else really does it like the O12 in this situation, but the alternative would be the P14 which is much much less expensive and does have very good IQ, but a slightly longer focal length and only f/2.8 (I used to own the O17 f/2.8 but found this aperture was not quite wide enough in these situations).

Also if you own a Panasonic camera I'd investigate whether the O12's SnapBack feature works......it didn't on my friend's G3.

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    This is a matter of personal preference and vision, but I've always found that 28mm was a compromise focal length. I've gotten a great deal more use and good photos from 24mm lenses, so the difference between the 12mm and the 14mm to me would be huge and would either justify the cost of the 12mm or indicate passing on the 14mm and not spending the money at all.

On the other hand, I've gotten a great deal of great use out of the 7-14mm zoom, which is a little slower but obviously a lot more flexible and while it may not be quite as sharp or fast as the 12mm, produces extremely good photos. :thumbup:

17. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    I haven't used the 14mm b4, but I can tell you, after i got the 12mm, I never really used my 20mm f1.7 again. I rarely use my 45mm 1.8 either! There is just something about this lens that is magical. Worth every penny and then some!
    i will say it's probably not for everyone, since not everyone likes wide angles. I personally like to get up close to my subjects as it feels more intimate than trying to direct them from 30-40 feet away.

18. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The 7-14 is just as sharp as the 12mm. Just got my copy today. But you're right slower. I prefer 12mm over 14mm, too.

E-M5, O75, PL25, O12, O75-300

19. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I took all the m4/3 gear in my sig to the UK this summer, other than the 45/1.8 which I bought after we got back. I had been thinking of the 7-14/4 as a somewhat specialized UWA but came around to thinking of it as a sort of all-around lens (admittedly totally lacking normal/tele range). If used a little carefully, it makes a great "people" lens at close-ish ranges. If have found it to be as sharp as the 12/1.8, that's excellent. The 7-14/4 is a very sharp lens, but honestly even the lesser-regarded 14-140mm surprised me a lot with results that were impressively sharp even pixel-peeping at 1:1.

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Well, here's a surprise, and not a happy one. :frown: I decided to buy a 12/2, and spent a little time with it this weekend, including doing some semi-formal comparisons against the 7-14/4 and 12-35/2.8. At f/2.8, the 12-35mm is clearly sharper. At f/4, the 7-14mm and 12-35mm are both clearly sharper. I went back to the various reviews posted on the web and noticed a few that reported poor comparative results, including the review at admiringlight.com that notes that Jordan had to return two of these before he got one that he thought was suitably sharp. One out of three is not encouraging. :frown:

• Like Like x 2