1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 12mm or 25/1.8- which to buy.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rkhndjr, Jan 19, 2015.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I have pondered and bargained on the 25mm today but read the 12mm was a fine lens. I have never used one that wide and wonder about the IQ, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Those are very different lenses. What lenses do you currently own and what do you take pictures of most of the time? Yes, the 12 is a fine prime lens. So are the 17, 25 & 45.

3. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I should have been more explicit. I can afford one lens and have used the 20/1.7 but did not care for it. I like primes and good IQ. Am considering whatever is recommended if in the 12mm-25mm range

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You're comparing apples to oranges, They are both great lenses, but one is a wide angle and the other a normal prime. What sort of shots do you want to take? I like landscapes and cityscapes, so would go with the 12, but if you're taking shots of people, they won't thank you for making the same decision!

• Like Like x 1
  5. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    The fact is, I have cancer and am indoors all the time except on rare occasions. I need a good lens I can fool with here in the house now and after my surgery hopefully be able to get outside. That is a short summary of my need. It is hard to decide and I know a lot about photography but need help with this.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Best wishes to you on your treatment. I'd go with the 25 if you're unsure. It's probably the more versatile for a range of subjects. If you want wide, you can always stitch - which is a fun thing to do in its own right!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks, and it is much cheaper.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the O12, O17 & O25. If I had to have one it would be the O17. The O25 is also a great general purpose FL as well.

I am sorry read about your cancer. Best wishes to you.

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. When I was undergoing chemotherapy and confined to the house, I used the 60mm macro lens with a tabletop tripod to keep me from going stir crazy. This, along with a cable release and light source, is a great set-up that will allow you to get quite creative. My wife used to cut flowers and float them in bowls, and one of those shots eventually was used in a small showing of my images after I finished my treatment. I think that you might be happier with this type of set-up than with a 12mm lens inside the house. Here is a link to that photo in a blog post of mine to give you a better idea of what can be done - http://blog.chroniclephoto.com/2013/09/29/a-walk-through-the-garden/. I wish you well during your treatment(s).

All the best,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  10. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks to all for your kind words. I will decide on something sooner or later:))

11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    IQ should be quite good on the 12mm, but remember when pixel peeping that the feature size (how big anything is in the image) will be smaller. This often leads people to think that the resolution is not the same.

what are you seeking in images? Isolation of the subject?

if you are indoors, why not try longer?

12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    also, it occurs to me that since you will be convalescing at home with time on your hands, you may enjoy playing with manual focus lenses ... who know, it may be fun

13. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Hello and sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My sister in law just beat lymphoma. Stay positive, there are many advancements in how they treat now a days. :)

I would make the lens decision with the following thought process. The 12 will most likely capture all of your room at once. So it's good for environmental portraits and shots that utilize the space around your subject to create context. Maybe you want to capture the way light comes into the room and lights up your bed through the window. Or what a visitor looks like from your perspective because you will capture the person the window and the foot of your bed all in one shot.

The 25 will be a more intimate type of shot. The expression on someone's face for example. It's also good for isolating objects around you. Maybe a hand written note on your side table.

Decide which type of shots fit your mood and sensibilities more and go with that. Because both lenses are superb optically so there is no wrong choice.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    What was wrong with the 20/1.7 as a comparison? Was it too wide or the opposite? Could you get close enough for what you want? I'd consider the 25 or also the 45. With some extension tubes or closeup lenses should work for simple macro work too. The 12 indoor is just too wide unless you are taking shots of the rooms themselves.

I agree with the manual focus lenses ideas: a canon FD 50/1.8, for example, can be found for almost nothing and could be a good companion for the other lens. There is a whole world of legacy lenses.

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I'm not that much of a wide angle shooter, and I was thinking that if I was confied to the house with a 12mm lens, it would be quite a challenge (if it did not drive me totally crazy). That was why I recommended a macro, but then again, we each need to find what works best for our shooting styles.

--Ken

16. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I have both the 12 and 25, I even had the 20mm but sold it because of the crazy slow focussing. I like the "look" of the 25mm, but for my in the house pics, mostly close ups of my dogs :) I like the 12mm.

They will both be fun lenses. Here's to a quick post surgery recovery!

-Joe

17. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Best of luck in your treatment.

In your situation, I think the wide might not be the best choice. It is a great landscape lens but not too useful for other things. Of the two you mention, the 25 would be more useful for now.

18. SolPix

SolPix Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    New Mexico
    I second Replytoken's macro suggestion if it's indoor functionality you want. Endless fun with the macro function--even mundane subjects will reveal something interesting--and it's useful as a short zoom, also. The Olympus 60mm Macro f/2.8 has high IQ, too.

Best wishes to you for a speedy and full recovery, rkhndjr!

• Like Like x 1
  19. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    I have nothing to say to the topic, but I give my best wishes to you!!! :smile:

20. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If it were me, I would probably want a macro, as some others have mentioned. Not everyone enjoys that kind of thing, however. It's really up to what you like, the choice of 12mm vs 25mm has me scratching my head though... Without a specific use case in mind making choices like that is hard. Maybe the 25mm and a cheap softbox? Product type photography is a lot of fun and can even be a stock photo method of making a little extra coin. Get well soon!

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8