1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 12mm + filter= no go Oly lenshood

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mikep, Mar 27, 2013.

1. mikep

mikep Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    Northern California
    I recently bought both the Oly 12mm lens and the dedicated and expensive Oly lenshood LH48. Mounted a slim 46mm UV Heliopan filter on the lens. Tried to mount the lenshood onto the lens and it will not go on. Apparently the Heliopan filter is ever so slightly bigger than the lens barrel diameter that it is prevented from fitting onto the lens. Anybody else have this issue and how did you manage it? Either I find a filter that is actually smaller than the lens barrel dimension or I put a file to the Oly lens hood. Any suggestions?

2. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have a B+W filter on my 12mm and it fits nicely. Can't you put the hood on and then the filter?

3. mikep

mikep Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    Northern California
    Oly 12mm Lenshood

Yes, I could put the hood on first and then the filter, but that would be terribly inconvenient. What specific B&W filter are you using? I believe they have a multicoated one and then a single coated version. Not sure if are the same size.
    Thx Mike

4. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have the MRC. I always leave the hood on. These things are so tiny that they disappear in my bag. Normally, I would reverse the hood on a larger lense, but I don't bother with the M43 ones.

5. Mytola

Mytola Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    I'd just keep the hood on, and ditch the filter. Filter will only screw up your contrast and give you flare, and won't really protect your lens.

6. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    that's your opinion.

explain to me how a lens hood is going to protect your front element from a sandstorm in the desert?

7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    That's what lens caps are for. Who's hanging around during a sandstorm anyway?

8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    What about stones and mud from motocross or off road cycling, rallying etc etc? been saved more than once by a filter.

9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Or those of us who want to use other types of filters such as ND filters?

10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Well, the 'I don't use filters so you shouldn't either' crowd has managed to hijack and leave this thread for dead.

Perhaps some kind passers by will note specific information here about filters that they do use with the 12mm and LH48 that work without binding or blocking of the hood?

woof!

11. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I already had before the 'no filter' mafia arrived, very sad that someone values their opinion so highly that's they need to hijack a discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have a Heliopan UV for protection and a B+W ND and the hood slips on rather nicely over both.

Gary

PS- My Heliopan is the Digital ES 46 ... no problema with the hood.
    G

13. dond

dond New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2013
    I got the olympus filter with the black lens kit a few weeks back. That filter is small enough in dia to allow the hood to slip right over it.

IDK if the Oly filter is available separately.

14. Jim_C

Jim_C New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2013
    I'm using this B+W Filter with the Oly hood —*the fit is perfect.

B+W 46mm Clear MRC 007M Filter 66-1069110 B&H Photo Video

—Jim