1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 12-50 on Panasonic: good idea?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Klorenzo, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi, a friend of mine would like to start doing photography, just to try. My advice was a G2 or G3 body depending on the ebay offers.
    Then I would advice him to take a normal zoom or a prime (maybe the sigma ones or the usual suspects)

My doubt is about the zoom options: do you think the 12-50 is a better alternative to the Panasonic 14-42 family (14-42, 14-42ii or 14-45)?

I'm not worried about the 6.3 aperture: at 42mm, according to slrgear, it is actually a little faster then the 14-42. My main concern is the lack of stabilization. 50mm is not a long lens but...

Pros:
    - 12mm
    - Macro
    - just a little more reach
    - (weather proofing not relevant)
    - does the extra button works on the Pana body? (not a deal breaker anyway)

Cons:
    - price (200 euro vs 100/150)
    - no IS
    - size

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'd say it probably depends on your priorities. The 12-50 will be more versatile, as you've mentioned, but it is also more expensive, and it's definitely not optically better.

The OIS on the Panasonic lenses definitely comes in handy. Even if it's not a long focal length, the ability to hand-hold static shots for much 1-2 stops longer means that in low-light the stabilized lenses end up with a big advantage (depending on what you're shooting, obviously).

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'd be inclined to take a 14-45mm before a 12-50mm. The 12-50mm does have some extra features like the macro mode and of course the 12mm focal length, but I only kept mine until recently because it was my only weathersealed lens. There is nothing particularly wrong with using the 12-50mm on either make of camera but I feel that the 14-45mm is a better lens with more consistent performance across the frame. I would generally crop images from the 12-50mm at it's widest setting because of the edge softness.

It may well be that the most cost effective way to purchase a camera like the G2 and G3 is with a 14-42mm lens included which would then make the decision for you, but I have no experience with any of the Panasonic 14-42mm lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I absolutely love my 12-50, but I'd say your friend should look at the Panasonics because of the IS. 45/50mm isn't long, but remember, with our cameras it's 90/100mm, which is starting to get long-ish. Furthermore, at the long end, all of these lenses become painfully slow, requiring you to either bump the ISO or significantly lower the shutter speed at anything less than ideal mid-day outdoor lighting conditions...I'd say IS in one form or another is essential (or at least very beneficial) with these lenses.

It's also up to your friend's individual shooting style. I, for example, love to shoot wide, and I won't even buy compacts that don't go down to 24mm equivalent. But, if your friend's okay with 28mm equiv (14mm on our cameras), then go for one of the Panasonic lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Definitely get the stabilized one , especially for a newbie with no hand holding technique.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    If your friend goes with a Panasonic body then lens based image stabilization with certainly be a plus. If an Olympus body is chosen (should be some good deals around for the current model weather sealed EM-5) then your lens choices increase substantially due to no need for lens based IS. BTW, a nice feature of the 12-50 aside from weather sealing and near-macro mode is that the zoom can be remotely controlled by the Olympus O.I. share app.

• Like Like x 1