Oly 12-50 f3.5 -6.3 on GX8 - a good idea?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nirok, Jan 25, 2016.

1. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    What do you say? I just bought the gx8 and I want to sell my other body with the panasonic kit lens 14-42... I shoot 90% of the time with 20mmf1.7 and i want to have 12mm option and a walk around lens in my bag... did somebody tried this combo?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's kind of "meh" in terms of optical prowess, but it's a pretty cheap way to get a weather sealed 12mm standard zoom with macro capabilities.

If you are only interested in the 12mm end, the 12-32mm is sharper, lighter, much smaller and no more expensive.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Totally agree. The 12-32 is quite a remarkable lens for its size and price. The 12-50 is remarkable only for being so damned big for what it is!

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The 12-50 is an OK to good lens. And a pretty good lens if you're into video since it has a power zoom option. As noted it does have weather sealing and macro abilities with a very useful range. The power zoom and macro features also make it seem a bit long and thin, or at least it seemed that way to me. But it is also very light so it's not real burden to carry.

If a nice handy zoom and 12mm on the wide end are the goals I would look at the Pan 12-32 pancake zoom. It's the size of or smaller than your 20mm and a sharp little zoom.

Convenient little wide zoom or range/macro/weather seal, both are relatively cheap used. Take your pick

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Thank you... Does the 12-32 a lot sharper? Because i am tempted by the macro and the weather sealing... And by the way, do you think the in body IS is good enough for the oly?

6. tkbslc

Here's a sharpness test from ephotozine.com for the 12-32mm: https://www.ephotozine.com/articles...ighres-Panasonic1232mm_MTF12mm_1393429389.jpg

ANd here's there same chart for the 12-50 (both are at 12mm): https://www.ephotozine.com/articles...hres-OlympusM431250mmEXMTF12mm_1331043010.jpg

You can see that the 12-50 has significantly worse edge resolution, especially. The 12-32 is a step above. Of course weather sealing and macro are extremely handy for a walk around zoom, so there is no perfect answer. Certainly many good photos are taken everyday with the 12-50mm. Check the sample threads on this forum for both lenses, too, if you want to see what kind of results people are getting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know the 12-50 internally zooms & is why it is as long as it is but I think the 12-32 externally zooms making it shorter in that respect. Is that correct?

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Internal zoom, power zoom, and macro all add to the length. The 12-32 is small more because it's made to be collapsible more than just that extends when zoomed.

9. tkbslc

12-50 is even longer than the f2.8 zooms and some telephotos, though. It's just as long as the sealed 14-140 II, too.

10. Gonewest

Gonewest Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    I have both of these lenses but use the Panasonic much more, mostly because of its tiny size (and the large size of the Olympus). Other points to mention are that the 12-32mm can't be focussed manually on my OMD (I'm not sure on GX8) and that, while neither are "pro" build quality, the Olympus is better: My 12-32 required a repair last year.

11. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    i hate the size of the 12-50, but i just can't sell it; it can produce really nice pictures in the right light (just stop down if you want sharpness!). The macro mode is really great.

plus you'd have a weather sealed combo for rain/snow; as a walk around lens it's unbeatable.