1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OLY 12-40mm Pro Zoom Noise

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkc9789, Jul 1, 2015.

1. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I received my copy of reconditioned 12-40mm and noticed that there's a grone/grinding noise when zooming in and out. The noise goes away when camera is powered off. Wonder if other owners of this lens have similar experience? Thanks.

2. Ralf

Ralf New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2014
    Bitburg, Germany
    Mine does the same thing only when it is powered on. But it is a very faint roar/grinding noise; never paid attention to it until you mentioned it.
    Powered off it is just a 'swooosh' like noise. So if yours ain't extremely loud - nothing to worry.

3. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Ah OK. I was a little worried.

4. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    It is normal. It is the sound of the focus group moving as you zoom. The optical design is such that focus would change as you zoom, so Olympus made the electronics in the lens move the focus group as you zoom to compensate. Particularly important for video. You will also notice that if you hold the lens pointed at the ceiling and then tip it towards the floor it will also make the same noise when powered on. This is because the focus group drive needs to compensate for the change in the pull of gravity as you point the lens up and down.

5. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks very much for your detailed explaination. Maybe my Pana 12-35 will be going up for sale soon.