1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 12-40mm front heavy?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bwidjaja, Jan 13, 2015.

1. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Hi Everyone, I am fairly new to Oly EM1 and 12-40mm.
    I like almost every aspect of the lens and the image quality.
    However, it is just so annoying that I cannot find the right balance while holding the camera one handed or when on a shoulder strap.
    The lens just seems to be front heavy.
    12-40mm is not that much bigger than the 75mm, but i find it unpleasant ergonomics wise.

Any tips or suggestions?

2. Rolle

Rolle Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 12, 2013
    If you use the optional grip the the balace will be better. In addition you also get a better grip.

3. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    Not noticed that.

I have not noticed the 12-40 being particularly front heavy, although it is a beefy lens. At f2.8, it is going to have some heavy glass near the front of the lens. You might try the vertical grip or a bottom plate which would provide more surface to hold on to. The E-M1 and 12-40 is much easier to hold than my E-PL5 using anything other than the kit lens.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I use the same grip that I had to use with manual focus lenses - rest the body of the lens on the left hand's metacarpal/index finger joint and cradle the lens between your index finger and thumb. The heel of your hand at the base of your thumb supports the left side of the camera body and your right hand steers and works the controls. Press your left upper arm against your ribs with your left foot forward and you have a stable shooting position. If you have to resort to manual focus, you're already in position. With short lenses I end up cradling more of the camera body in my palm but keep the hand engaged with the lens in the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    There is always Panasonic 12-35mm which is quite smaller, lighter and better balanced.

6. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Unfortunately that's the price you pay for a fast and sharp 24-70mm equivalent lens. You could always go with the smaller Panasonic option, but of course the image quality won't be as good.

Back when I had a Canon 5D, a 24-70 f/2.8 L definitely felt front-heavy on it, and that camera had a much beefier grip than the EM1.

7. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    i think its perfectly mated.

in fact, the 75 and 12-40 are a much better fit on the body than the other primes or the plastic zooms. because i can hold this combo with a single finger thanks to the deep grips. any lighter lens mounted on it changes the mass distribution so that body swings away from the finger grip....

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You should always hold a camera/lens with both hands. These cameras are not P&S.

9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Shooting primarily the boem1 attached to the camera greatly improves the ergonimcs for me, without going to the full hld7 (even though I have that too).
    That said I also use my tripod still quite a bit when doing landscape work, so I'd need a camera plate regardless. I also use the lens plate lug to change the position of the strap based on the lens, which is easy to do the the peak design leash.

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Any rectangular shaped camera with a lens protruding from the main mass, is not designed to be balanced when holding it one-handed! See Post #8 and for proper hand holding technique read Post #4.

However you can curl your little finger underneath the camera body to add a little more stability when shooting one handed. OR..
    Right hand index finger on shutter, all other finger tips next to the body at the intersection of the body and the grip, rotate the camera 90 degrees counter-clockwise and shoot in portrait format.

I'll second Clint's use of the Really Right Stuff's BOEM-1. It adds just enough for larger hands.

11. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I like to think this way whenever I have a heavy lens mounted to the camera: The right hand is for working the camera controls and the shutter release, and the left hand is for supporting the entire weight of the body and lens.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    EM1 + 12-40 is heeeeeavy.
    I tried it with the grip and that just made it heeeeeavier, so I removed the grip.

The grip I do not like with any lens, the camera I find is, much better without it, sad to say.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    A professional camera and lens that weighs about 800g is heeeeeavy???

facepalm.

• Like Like x 5
  14. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Bravo. Great impersonation of the close-minded, useless posts that populate most forums at dpreview.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Well bert, you can dance and pose all you like, but if someone finds an E-M1 and 12-40mm lens 'heeeeeavy', then they have seriously bought into the wrong camera system. My E-P1 with 17mm f2.8 weighs more than half that combination. What the hell are people expecting or wanting?

• Like Like x 5
  16. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    If you are struggling to use the E-M1 with the 12-40/2.8 one-handed, then I'm not sure that there is a solution. A technique like that described by Carbonman is needed - but I would do the same if I was using my E-M5 and a small prime too. :thumbup:

If you are struggling to carry the E-M1 with the 12-40/2.8 one-handed, then my usual solution is to use a wrist strap attached to the HLD-7. That keeps it well enough balanced that I can carry the camera all day with just one finger. :cool:

I use a neck strap without the grip with any of my m43 lenses and haven't noticed any awkwardness. When my resistance inevitably breaks and I buy the 40-150/2.8 I will need to revisit my strategies.:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  17. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    one should also shoot p&s with both hands, and elbows braced. stability is good practice.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    To me it feels naked with out it.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Please, folks, let's keep it cordial.

20. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I found a way to make my 12-40 seem very light on my E-M10. I simply used the 40-150 PRO for 2 weeks straight.

• Like Like x 4