Oly 12-40 reconditioned back on at Olympus!

Clicka

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Campbell
Bummer! Mine's a clunker too, though not as bad as the video. Don't know what to do. Anyone know if this effects performance?

leungw

Deal Hunter
Real Name
Willy
I just tried mine. It wobbles when extended to 40mm, but only a very tiny bit. Nothing as major as what's on the video.

Out of curiosity, I tested my Panasonic 12-35mm. Does not wobble at all.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
They all wobble. Lets stop the paranoia. For lots of fun and lols... put it on an EPM2 and shoot in the shutter shock range.

Clicka

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Campbell
They all wobble. Lets stop the paranoia. For lots of fun and lols... put it on an EPM2 and shoot in the shutter shock range.
Are you saying all 12-40's wobble, as in that's how these lenses are designed; or
That all the refurb's wobble, as in Olympus is dumping all the rejects and returns as refurd's?

If it's a) i'll keep it. If b) it goes back. I'd rather spend an extra 300 for one that's right. Problem is, I don't know the answer.

My main concern, is that with the slop in the barrel, moisture may be sucked into the lens when zooming. Living in the PNW, this is very important to me. And this is sold as a 'pro' weather proof lens.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Are you saying all 12-40's wobble, as in that's how these lenses are designed; or
That all the refurb's wobble, as in Olympus is dumping all the rejects and returns as refurd's?

If it's a) i'll keep it. If b) it goes back. I'd rather spend an extra 300 for one that's right. Problem is, I don't know the answer.

My main concern, is that with the slop in the barrel, moisture may be sucked into the lens when zooming. Living in the PNW, this is very important to me. And this is sold as a 'pro' weather proof lens.
If you buy an extended warranty, Olympus has to warant a refurbished lens to as new operation, so the latter is not likely as a policy. As I asked the OP, have you shot with the lens, and what do you make if its IQ?

--Ken

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've PM'd people who bought this lens new. It wobbled for them. I've Googled a variety of threads in forums on the topic, almost all of them wobble - new or refurb. A few started out tight and then began to wobble. I saw two posts from people who said theirs were still tight. I saw one post from someone who returned theirs because it was so tight the lens squeaked when they zoomed.

It appears less than 1mm of wobble when extended to 40mm is pretty normal, something around 0.5mm being typical. This displacement being measured at the filter rings while pushing the end of the lens barrel to force it to deflect.

Mine wobbles by just about 0.5mm, perhaps a hair less. As I rotate the lens or lens and camera I can hear it make a small "thunk" as gravity pulls the end of the barrel down into a new position. If I shake the lens like in the video in this thread mine makes the same wobbling/thunking sounds.

I've tested my for decentering comparing all four corners shot on the same resolution target at 40/2.8 and I've done this with the camera in three orientations (landscape and portrait turned both left and right). In all cases the four corners are very sharp. There is one corner that at 200% is just barely visibly less sharp than the others. In my experience that is pretty typical, I don't own a fast prime that doesn't have one corner very slightly softer than the other three. This "soft" corner does not move relative to the sensor position when I shoot at different rotations so it would appear to not be related to the wobble at all.

As to weather sealing it is all done with rubber gaskets, rubber is flexible and so it should handle the small displacements at the junction just fine. If the end of the ends barrel is displacing by 0.5mm then at the junction with the outer barrel it is displacing a whole lot less than that (simple geometry). Based on what is written and shown in figures on the Olympus site air is not designed to pass between the inner and outer barrel junction so I suspect that gasket should be plenty large enough to handle this very small play. Air enters the lens under the zoom ring itself actually.

Based on all this I'd say if you've got a lens with wobble of less than 1mm then there is little point in returning for an exchange or buying a brand new one. You will more than likely just get another that has a similar wobble perhaps of slightly different magnitude.

Clearly there can be too much wobble and if there is a lot of displacement return it. But my copy makes all the same rattling and thunking sounds when shaken as in the video in this thread and optically it tests beautifully. I can't from that video at all tell how much the barrel displaces because when he presses on the barrel he also moves the lens body, so I don't know if that lens has more wobble than mine or not. I measured mine against a stationary ruler suspended just above the end of the lens while holding the lens mount flush on a table and pressing on the side of the extended barrel. If you have a dial gauge that would of course be more accurate, I didn't feel like looking through boxes to find my old one so eyeballing with a ruler was sufficient to determine it was a bit under 0.5mm.

hopescooter

Mu-43 Regular
FWIW, It sounds about the same as my refurbished 12-40. Have you shot with it?

--Ken
Sorry was gone for the weekend. I did take few pics on friday, I didn't see any effect on IQ, but then again, its just few pics at higher mm range.
I understand little of play is expected, but I think the copy I've wobbles a bit too much(definitely a lot more than 1mm of displacement) for my liking. Whether or not it affects the overall quality of images, it's just bothering me enough that I am going to return it.

Clicka

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Campbell
As I asked the OP, have you shot with the lens, and what do you make if its IQ?

--Ken
only about 200 or so :) been firing away all weekend. The pictures look fine to me. but then again, so do those I take with the 12-50 kit. To tell the truth, I'm too inexperienced to be able to properly evaluate the relative IQ/sharpness/detail and other nuances of particular lenses. I hope to get there tho'. That's where all you good people come in. You guys don't know how awesome it is for a novice like me to have this site as a resource with such knowledge, experience and skilled contributors.

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
And out of stock (if you click the button) by 11:25AM EDT. Of course it never hurts to try a few more times in the coming hours. The last batch of them seemed to go in and out of stock over part of the day.

absolutic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
And out of stock (if you click the button) by 11:25AM EDT. Of course it never hurts to try a few more times in the coming hours. The last batch of them seemed to go in and out of stock over part of the day.
its ridiculous. what do they get like 1 or 2 lens in stock?

David

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
its ridiculous. what do they get like 1 or 2 lens in stock?
I suspect so, they are refurbs and not newly manufactured. They only have as many refurbs as there are people returning lenses that qualify to be refurbed. I suspect the randomly going back into stock later in the day is orders from earlier in the day that are either canceled by the customer (cold feet) or canceled by Olympus (bad payment information for example). It is pretty frustrating, but for a few hundred dollars of savings it can be worth putting up with :)

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Every zoom lens I own has some wobble. The longer the lens, the more wobble.

Clicka

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Campbell
Every zoom lens I own has some wobble. The longer the lens, the more wobble.
ok; thx for clarifying. I checked the other 2 zooms i have. A 2nd hand 40-150 has absolutely zero play. My new 75-300 has a minute touch of play only when fully extended.

On the other hand, I can click the 12-40 back and forth right through the its range. After reading kwalsh's reply and thinking more about it; I wonder if the 12-40 has a rubber o-ring or rubber gasket as an integral part of the sealed zoom sleeve design; and that allows for the bit of play that my 2 non-sealed lenses don't display.

fwiw, I did fire off an email to Olympus to get their opinion.

anyway.. it's been hashed to death. I've decided to take my chances and keep it unless i get a negative response from the Olympus boys.

cheers, and thanks.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
ok; thx for clarifying. I checked the other 2 zooms i have. A 2nd hand 40-150 has absolutely zero play. My new 75-300 has a minute touch of play only when fully extended.

On the other hand, I can click the 12-40 back and forth right through the its range. After reading kwalsh's reply and thinking more about it; I wonder if the 12-40 has a rubber o-ring or rubber gasket as an integral part of the sealed zoom sleeve design; and that allows for the bit of play that my 2 non-sealed lenses don't display.

anyway.. it's been hashed to death. I've decided to take my chances and keep it unless i get a negative response from the Olympus boys.

cheers, and thanks.
Have you considered buying their extended warranty?

--Ken

hopescooter

Mu-43 Regular

cheers, and thanks.
Ok, yeah do let us know what Olympus tells you.

DanHD

New to Mu-43
They are up again on the Oly US website as of 10:55am Eastern time.

I ordered one, but am on the fence, with the LX100 announced.
WT21, if you change your mind, I would like to buy it from you. I am in Boston. Thanks!

zekebratkowski

New to Mu-43
If you are interested in this lens the Olympus website is currently showing the lens as available and I got through the order page.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom