Oly 12-40 reconditioned back on at Olympus!

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I ordered yesterday am and got it today. Looks like new. Impressive build quality. Hood and pouch included for those who were wondering.

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ordered mine yesterday around 2PM EDT and I got a shipment email just this evening. Should have it by Friday. Looks like depending on when you ordered it might take a day or two to actually ship.

leungw

Deal Hunter
Real Name
Willy
This is my first Olympus zoom lens. One thing I notice immediately is that the zoom direction is opposite compared to Panasonic lens. It's going to take some time to get used to.

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is my first Olympus zoom lens. One thing I notice immediately is that the zoom direction is opposite compared to Panasonic lens. It's going to take some time to get used to.
Power user tip: If you hold the camera the other way around the zoom ring will now move the "correct" Panasonic direction. Illustrated below.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

leungw

Deal Hunter
Real Name
Willy
Power user tip: If you hold the camera the other way around the zoom ring will now move the "correct" Panasonic direction. Illustrated below.
LOL, thanks for the tip!

Mr.Kilawin

Mu-43 Regular

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
:rolleyes: no need for macro reverse ring adapter for this one

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
what is the refurb price? it is not on their site anymore
$639.99 is the standard refurb price.

Usually you pay state sales tax on top of that. Shipping isn't always free, but very frequently it is. Maybe twice a year they have coupon codes for additional discount on top of that (this year 20% once and 15% once) but when those coupon codes are issued the 12-40 refurbs usually sell out in under five minutes of the Olympus coupon email being sent out.

apisto

Mu-43 Rookie
I ordered one a few days ago with free second day air shipping. They still sent it via ground, though. Oh well. :rolleyes:

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The FedEx truck finally arrived on this end. Mainly for the searching archive since so many people ask about how refurb products arrive...

- Came FedEx with no signature required.
- Box was a generic Olympus Refurbished box about the size of a camera body box. When I got my 12/2 from them a few years ago it came in essentially the same size box which was ridiculously large for that tiny lens.
- Besides the lens and hood inside was the lens pouch on its own, the lens manual and a refurbished product warranty card (90-days).
- The lens was in a small plastic bag.
- The lens hood was stored on the lens reversed but outside the bag (i.e. the bag was pinched between the lens and the hood).
- The lens and hood were in a large bubble wrap bag.
- The lens had a barcode sticker on the zoom ring, probably inventory control tag or something. It peeled off with easy and left no residue.

Overall the packaging inside the refurb box was a little loose but sufficient. This was better than my 12/2 which was mostly rattling around inside a giant box! The refurb box was well packaged with air pouches in a larger shipping box.

Lens itself looks like new, had a few handling/finger smudges on parts of it that wipe off. From the hood bayonet mount it looks like the hood was mounted at least a few times.

I need to put it through the optical test wringer over the next few days to make sure IQ is all as should be, but cosmetically looks great and essentially like new.

hopescooter

Mu-43 Regular
Got mine today, and immediately noticed the wobble in the inner tube, especially when fully extended to 40mm. Seems like a common issue after doing bit of Googling.

doboy

Mu-43 Regular
Got mine today, and immediately noticed the wobble in the inner tube, especially when fully extended to 40mm. Seems like a common issue after doing bit of Googling.
I just noticed some wobbling after reading your post, but very minor. Yours seem severe.

Clicka

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Campbell
nervous about going home now where mine got delivered today. Stokage has been replaced by apprehension.

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It is hard to tell from the video how much wobble there is, too many things moving. If I shake mine it rattles like yours. If I forcibly move the end of the lens barrel when extended and measure the displacement it is less than 0.5mm at the top of the barrel. From looking a few threads that amount of wobble seems normal, but of course yours may be worse than mine.

Thanks for the heads up though, I will be sure to check for decentering in all possible orientations of the lens at 40mm. There was a true problem with barrel wobble decentering way back when with the Canon 75-300, landscape shots sharp but portrait shots not because of gravity induced droop of the extended lens barrel. So it can be a real problem with some lenses for sure.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom