1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 12-40 Pro 'out'..Panny 14-45 'in'..well maybe.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I'm considering letting the Oly go and replacing it with a Panasonic 14-45mm f3.5-5.6.

Why, because the 12-40 is just TOOOO BIG AND HEAVY.

I don't really need f2.8.

I've had the the Panny 14-45 before, years ago, beautiful little lens.

'Little'...isn't that what M4/3 is supposed to be all about?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    If it works for you, go for it?

I don't use the 12-40mm much however I keep it around for weather sealing, it might just be marketing however it stops me worrying about it in the moment. Size wise it's about right for my hands although I wouldn't mind a version which didn't extend.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you want small, use the Panasonic 14-42 II. As good as the 14-45, but smaller! Or maybe even 12-32.

4. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Get the panasonic 12-35 2.8

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Oly 12-40mm f/2.8 is little for what it is. If you want little, why not look at the Pentax Q -series? I'm genuinely interested why not, since you have been so put off by the Oly pro lenses? There is always something smaller, it's all about the compromise YOU are willing to do. We all know the Panny 14-45 is smaller than the Oly 12-40. I don't want to sound rude, I just don't get why you are making all the fuss about the size of Oly pro lenses?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Dave in Wales, this is a bit tiresome tbh.

You've previously started a thread complaining about the size of the 12-40 Pro lens and asked for alternatives, then kept it. Then you ordered the 7-14 Pro lens and had a big moan about the size/weight of it even though it's clear from the specs that it's bigger/heavier than the 12-40 Pro. There have been complaints about the size of the E-M1 too, even having it for sale at one point. Now we're back to the 12-40 Pro size thread again. The cynical side of me thinks these threads are started for effect as you seem to disappear after posting them...

I think you need to make a decision on what kit works for you and stick with it. If you have issues with size/weight of kit, which is a valid consideration, why do you then buy the largest body & lenses?!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    IF you get a sharp 14-45 ... IF.
    Speaking of which, a couple of years ago I took my really sharp 14-45 into PCWorld and tested it against the new Lumix 14-42MkII which I found to be just as sharp : I was impressed with that.
    Last week I was doing a few in-shop test shots with the G7 and it's 14-42MkII lens and found those not quite as sharp as the previous ones (different time, different body, different opposing lens) but this just shows the example variation possible within the same lens.
    So good luck and hope you get a sharp one.

8. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    Easy get gm5 small pair it with the pancakes

9. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I'll trade you straight up - my Panny 14-45 for your Oly 12-40 pro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Not exactly, but if that's what you want it to be about then go for it. There are camera systems that are smaller than M4/3.

11. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Personally, I don't see it, but then again I come from the DSLR world and comparing any m43 kit to it's DSLR equivalent is smaller and lighter. In many cases, nearly half the weight.

Maybe you'd be happier with a Panasonic LX100? Even smaller, lighter with a faster lens than an E-M1 with a "kit" zoom lens.

e-m1_70d_top-lens.

e-m1_d7100_top-lens.

e-m1_d610_top-lens.

e-m1_d610_top-lens-sigma.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    When you grow and get to be big and strong, all these lenses you've been buying will seem small and light.

Ohhhhh, wait, that’s just your avatar.;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    This seems a bit harsh IMHO. He's just sounding out ideas on a forum - can't be anything wrong with that - can there? You can always ignore the thread if it's not interesting. Let's keep it positive heh?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... The truth always comes out .....

15. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    What about the Panny 12-35 f2.8? But seriously at some point the photographer has to compromise. The minutia of the specs is just fodder for the obsessed mind.

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have mumbled that it is a big and heavy lens a few times. It feels much better on the E-M5 mk ii than it did on the E-M10 or E-M5 (sold) (we don't have a E-M1). While I am prime first shooter, I am making peace with this lens because it is the best short zoom available for m4/3's IMHO. For those considering adding this lens, consider a grip for smaller cameras.

Edit: http://camerasize.com/compact/#594.32,594.412,ha,t

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  17. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Paul, it may read as harsh however DiW has posted these threads across multiple forums and rarely replies on them...seems a case of lighting the blue touch paper and then disappearing. It's very frustrating to read and doesn't really serve a purpose IMO.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I think the point is that it should be kept positive. After complaining about how big and heavy and intolerable the 12-40 was, DiW then (claims) to have bought a bigger (and more expensive) 7-14 and started a thread complaining about the shocking weight (which he knew was more than the 12-40 before he ever laid eyes on it). Then he's back again with another 12-40 and going on about how big, and heavy, and intolerable it is. Then he's gone... no follow-up until the next, bigger, more expensive (and probably Olympus) lens needs to be complained about on multiple forums. That's not sounding out ideas and there's nothing positive about it. On a less kind forum, the word "troll" would have been used long ago.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Counting down to the "40-150/2.8 is too heavy" thread. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1