Oly 12-40 OR Sigma 18-35 on E-M1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nagual, Jan 19, 2014.

1. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Wondering If anybody thought of using Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 on Metabones Speed Booster for E-M1?
    If my numbers are right the Sigma setup translates to 26-52mm F1.3. Seems like valuable proposition to me.
    I am asking because my return policy for Oly 12-40mm is up in 4 days. Any advice from Oly and Sigma users would be awesome.

2. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I would go for it, seems like a awesome set for a videographer, but if you need autofocus, the choice is made. At worst, return the sigma/metabones and rebuy the oly zoom.

3. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Sigma 18-35 + metabones is going to be huge, even on an EM1. The lens itself is 810g, plus probably another 100-200g for the adapter. Total cost is $1220 or so. The range is significantly less (13-25/26-50mm), you won't get AF, electronic aperture control, or IBIS (you can manually enter in the IBIS value but this is tricky with zooms).

I would only consider this option if you're shooting video on a dedicated rig where size/weight isn't an issue. Otherwise, if you really want the sigma lens, get a DSLR, it will handle and function much better. I don't see how it makes sense to use a lens at half the intended functionality, one that basically defeats the purpose of shooting with M43rds (small size/weight).

If you really want the speed, pick up a fast prime instead, you can afford one for the extra money you would spend on the Sigma(assuming you got the 12-40 as a kit/rebate), and you'll be able to carry the 12-40, a fast prime, and probably another M43rds lens or three at the same weight as the Sigma + speedbooster takes up. Panasonic 25mm/1.4 would probably make sense. Sure the Sigma combo is even faster, but you need to factor manual focusing into the equation. How quickly and accurately can you focus an F1.2 or so lens? Will you end up stopping it down to F4 just to make sure you get accurate focus? These are the sort of things I would think about.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Thanks for all the replies. Excellent insight EarthQuake, thank you for your detail answer. I got Oly75 and Oly 12-40 both with rebates when I bought E-M1, I also bought PL25 from Amazon. Metabones is interesting though, any thoughts on this setup or it makes more sense to buy new PL 42.5?

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Its hard to say really, again I think it comes down to how comfortable you are with manual focus, and manual focus with very fast lenses. Certainly if you're happy with a MF only lens there are a lot of options out there, and some very interesting options when you consider a speedbooster.

If you're not comfortable with manual focus only, I think you would be a lot happier with native lenses.

6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Depends entirely on what you are trying to achieve, doesn't it. Video vs Still Photography is just one of several point to consider.

7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    If you already have the Pana 25mm F1.4 and are happy with manual focus but with max speed what about the Voigtlander 42.5 F0.95 lighter than the speed boosted Sigma and faster and cheaper than the new Pana 42.5 F1.2?

Just add a 12 or 14mm and you are covered