Oly 12-40 f/2.8 lens rumor

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Mar 15, 2013.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Could this be the next "fast Olympus zoom"?

Patent: Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8! | 43 Rumors

A pity it's not a 12-50. 40mm is still limiting for me, although everyone's milleage will vary on that.

Let's see if that becomes a reality.

• Like Like x 3
  2. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I would be disappointed if the rumor were true. The 12-40mm range brings little more over the Panasonic 12-35mm. Why would Olympus duplicate the range with same max aperture? I'd be interested in a 12-60/2.8 or a 12-40/2.0. Otherwise, I'm happy with my 12-35/2.8.

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Those patents would never see the light of day. They're soooo long--it's anathema to Olympus's philosophy so far on m4/3...

• Like Like x 1
  4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    One of the rumours is that it might be f2.8/f4 rather than constant aperture. In that case it would make sense, if it is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Panasonic 12-35mm but still faster than the 12-50mm. I'd be in for it at the right price.

5. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I rented the Pany 12-35 this weekend. Received it today. I've taken maybe 20 shots with it and comparable shots with the Oly 12-50. Tomorrow I have a studio shoot scheduled, and I will try to use both lenses at that shoot. So far, I am impressed with the Pany 12-35, but not enough to spend $1,144.00 on it. I will wait and see if this rumor pans out first. I have nothing against Panasonic, but my camera is Olympus, and I would prefer to have Olympus lenses.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's going to boil down to cost and size. Without IS, it should be smaller/lighter/cheaper. Or maybe optically better if it's not cheaper. All things I would choose Olympus over Panasonic personally.

But a 12-60/2.8 would indeed be kinda awesome. I'll pass on the f/2 lenses only because they will be way out of my price range, ha.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    One thing from the patent, it seems this could be an internal zoom mechanism. This means the lens could be a bit larger (12-50mm size) but it's easier to make it weather sealed and, personally, I prefer internal zooming lenses.

8. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Any thing larger than 12-40 will necessarily be larger or have a different f-stop. Once it starts to get larger I think one of the draws of m4/3 leaves and so will customers. Nice thought though.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is just a patent found online and may or may not be the new lens. I am hoping for a longer reach. I rarely go any wider than 14mm and if I did want to there are several options already available. I am hoping that it will be a 14-50mm or 14-60mm. I would put the longer end to much more use than wide. I would prefer an f2.8 constant but could live with a f2.8-4.

10. speedandstyle

If that was the case then Panasonic would not sell very many of their zooms. They are big! The 45-200mm is just shy of being the same size and weight as the Nikkor 55-200mm for APS. This was the reason why I got rid of the one I had.

BTW it is possible to build a 12-50 f2.8 or f4 that is compact and light. Nikon has one and so does Canon. They are not too expensive either{although they are both f4}. Sigma has a wonderful 17-70mm f2.8-4 for APS which would translate as a 13-52mm f2.8-4. It is a great size and weight and price. It can be done.

11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Maybe a nice tele?

They have been pushing the 40-150 for $99 here in the US, maybe they are clearing space for a newer 40-150 f2.8? Could be a smaller and lighter lens with closer focusing that the current line of tele's.
    Just me daydreaming in a GAS cloud.

12. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Not sure any new 40-150 could be much lighter than the current one, it is as light as a feather being all plastic including the mount.

13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Has anyone noticed how massive this lens is ? Both variants are over 136mm in length.

About twice the size of the Pana 12-35 (74mm).....about 30% larger than the Pana 35-100 (100mm) and, wait for it, about 10mm larger than the very large Pana 100-300(126mm).
    Unless there has been an embarassing typo somewhere this thing is a freakin' HUGE and it'll be a cold day in hell before I get this. I've handled the Pana in store and boy it's tiny.

I woul be awfully surprised if this lens ever became an m43 reality, Olympus I believe will ultimately deliver something very similar in size/price/performance to the 2 equivalent Pana X zooms...afterall, who in their right mind would by a monstrosity like this ?

14. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Yeah a f2.8-4 variable aperture would be possible with the longer range like 12-50/60 but it wont be a constant f2.8.

15. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The size is a mystery since it doesn't have to have stabilization inside.

It could be bigger than the Panasonic and make it into my kit IF it was correspondingly less expensive, and with decent quality across the range.

But what I would love much more is if somebody would do this at a constant f/2.0 instead of f/2.8 -- that would make up for some of the DOF limitations of our smaller sensors and at the same time be just that much brighter.

Now THAT I would pay big money for!

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's to be expected. There is no advantage to mirrorless size-wise at focal lengths past around 30mm. Nor does the smaller sensor matter much for telephotos. The difference is that we do get significantly more reach. The better comparison would be a 55-265mm on APS-C.

I'm not sure which Canon or Nikon lens you're mentioning. The only APS-C standard zooms they have starting at 24mm EFL are f/3.5-5.6. The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 is a decent enough lens, but it's just as large and heavy as the Olympus 4/3 14-54/2.8-3.5 - a lens that many complain is too large for m4/3 bodies.

17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Who knows?

It could even be a nice 35-75mm f2.0 constant aperture micro zoom that gets to 1:1 at all focal lengths that's short and light and has internal zooming and internal focusing and super fast focusing. I mean we're just imagining here.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    A 12-40 f2.8 - f4.0 and 40-150 f2.8/3.5 - f4.0 would be a killer combo and for any event photographer (including me :2thumbs:)

19. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I know, you are just dreaming but for Oly that would be a nightmare.
    This single lens would get it the way of at least three major Oly lenses. The 45, 60 and 75. Especially the 60 Macro would be obsolete.

My Favourit would be a weathersealed 12-50/60 f2.x-f4 (or less then 4). That would be my favorit "tourist/travel" lens which I am still somewhat lacking. I would go ahead and sell my 14-45 and 45-200 (which I hardly use anymore) and would be very satisfied with my lens setup.

20. speedandstyle

Not true!
    The sensor is smaller in m4/3 thus the lenses do not have to be as large. Granted it isn't a huge difference in size but several of the Panasonic lenses are overly larger than they need to be{and a lot heavier}. I looked up the Panasonic lens and it is actually a tiny bit heavier than the Nikkor 55-200!

Better comparison - the Nikkor 55-300mm is less than an inch longer than the 55-200mm and about half a pound heavier. So with equal angle of view the Panasonic is smaller/lighter but not as much as it could be.

Nikon 24-120mm f4 for full frame and Canon 24-105mm f4 again for FF. Granted they are f4 not 2.8 but they are still decently fast and constant. They are expensive however.

I am not saying one should fit the Sigma to m4/3 but a version designed for m4/3 would be a little smaller and thus lighter. One thing that is never going to happen is a small light and FAST lens! in any system! To get a larger aperture means the lens will have to be larger. This is especially so on a zoom.