1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 12-40 2.8 - filter for Long exposure-landscape photography ???

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Jan 26, 2015.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello,

i just order the lens...... I want to buy a filter for Long exposure-landscape photography. What do you recommend ???

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    There are many options. If you want a filter set that can be used for widely different lens thread sizes, I really like the Lee Seven5 system. They have pretty much anything you would need and the quality is fantastic. If you are looking for one filter for one lens (thread size limitations), there are several high-quality screw-on filter brands.

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Link

Multicoated, 10-stop ND filter (great for long exposure day time photography), no color shift, $55.

4. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    I don't know this Brand is it good or i have to take something better ??

One friend suggest this

http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=HGXNDX

What do you believe ?

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I think the best system would be the type with the adapter that attaches to the lens and you can then drop the square filters into it. Lots of flexibility with many grades of ND and also the gradient type to only block half of the image.... Whatever you do, try to get good quality stuff. It's expensive and hard to part with the $$, but in the end the cheap stuff is a total waste of money. I know this from experience:tongue:

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When doing long exposure landscape, I've never needed anything more than a 10 stop and 3 stop ND. Mine are both B+W MRC... model 103 and 110. Mine are 77mm and I use step up rings as necessary so they fit a variety of lenses. 77mm may be a bit overkill size wise for the MFT shooter. Mine are throwbacks from my Canon and Pentax days when 77mm was the typical largest filter diameter for lenses.

7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I bought a Promaster ND1000X in 72mm, plus a 72mm to 62mm step down ring. I have a circular polarizer coming in 72mm as well. This will let me use the filters on my current 12-40 lens, plus use them on my 40-150mm f2.8 when I buy it later this year. After all, you wouldn't want to pay for filters you can only use on one lens, would you? It becomes too expensive (and too much gear to haul) pretty quickly.

8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    B&W seem to be good quality items. Too bad they are not inexpensive......

9. usayit

Yes.... you get what you pay for is the reality here. This is why I think it is important to spend the money up front for quality ND filters and use cheap step-up rings to fit a variety of lenses current and future. You only want to pay for them once. Most of my filters were purchased before the MFT system even existed.

10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    In many cases, an expensive filter will cost more than a lens.... Even for a fine native MFT prime, the filter can cost a high proportion of the cost of the lens. For me, a good, high quality ND filter is a necessity in order to shoot wide open in bright light. I buy them, but I hate to think they are there to take abuse and protect the front element of the lens. Replacing a filter can make your wallet feel the pain....

11. usayit

ND filters are a tool that I use for a variety of lenses.... not just a single lens. I fail to see how the cost of an ND filter should be weighted against the cost of any particular lens. This akin to not buying a lens that costs more than the body they are attached to.... it simply doesnt' make sense. I don't buy ND filtes to protect the front element of my lenses... .that's not what they are intended for. Again.. this is why I think it is important to plan out your ND filter purchase with a few step-up rings in mind..... so that you get the most for the money spent.

If we must weight in the cost of the lens..... my ND filter is used with almost all my lenses. So two even expensive filters is such a small fraction of the cost of all my lenses put together. On the flip side, my IR pass filters (720nm and 950nm both 77mm) are rather cheap side..... I don't shoot that much IR to justify their cost.

Its all a personal matter of opinion. What do you get when your put one opinion vs. another opinion? you get no-right-answer....

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Agreed, there are way too many different scenarios and applications to make any kind of sweeping generalization. The methodical and organized photographer would ideally choose and obtain lenses with the same filter thread size to standardize their filter selections. Then it would be quite cost effective to purchase the highest quality filters. I have not been disciplined in this respect and now I have to either spend a lot more in filters or use step up adapters...

13. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Do you use this filter with your omd and oly 12-40 ;; is there problem woth vigneting at 12 mm ;;

Sorry for my bad english...

14. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Finally , i think i will buy a filter with adapter.

I would like to ask if i buy a filter with the adapter, could i use the filter with other lens only by change the adapter ;; that's mean that these filters haven't mm diameter to choose ;;

After a little search i did. I find solutions like lee big stopper or haida 1000 filter with cokin p holder. Opinions ;; any other suggestions ;;;