Oly 12-40 2.8 de-centered or camera issue?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thepiecesfit, Oct 16, 2016.

1. thepiecesfit

thepiecesfit New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2016
    Trying to determine if the lens is de-centered I cant find anywhere online where the corners look this bad. Any recommendations on how to verify this more scientifically? Can it be the lens or camera lens combo? Using an Olympus EM-10 II. This was shot at F2.8 for testing purposes.

http://creativetrace.com/PA160031.jpg

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Maybe my eyes have gone, but seems like you're looking for something that's not there.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I see the sides and upper corners are soft when enlarging the image.

To rule out mount issues, try a shot at a longer focal length.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is not a flat field and you've shot at f2.8, which may effect DOF. And since you appear to have angled the camera down, the plane of focus would be at an angle. I don't think you can conclude much.

5. thepiecesfit

thepiecesfit New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2016
    Here is another one at 23mm af f2.8 in which also I may not be squared up to the subject. The corners are also soft.

http://creativetrace.com/PA160042.jpg

Any tips for ensuring the focus plane is correct? The in camera level with tripod?

6. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    The image plane of the first image is square to the wall neither horizontally nor vertically, and it appears to have had the geometric barrel distortion corrected (the 12-40 has significant barrel distortion at the wide end). So I agree that it would be hard to conclude anything from this test shot.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Your camera should have a built-in level; make sure both directions are level, but you also need to be sure the wall is flat and you are perpendicular to it.