Olly 75mm 1.8 What's Going On Here?

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Took 7 shots. 5 were OK but 2 had this problem. 100% crops with grey around teeth and lips. The grey is in the original RAWs so it isn't a processing problem. Any ideas?

P7200107.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P7200118.jpg

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Definitely looks like a pp artefact to me, not an optical one. But it's curious that you say that it's present in the RAW file. The type of CA correction which is typically automatically applied by a RAW converter is usually based on differential scaling of the RGB channels, whereas the effect in your crops looks more like badly tuned manual de-fringing. What do the "good" shots look like in comparison?

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Definitely looks like a pp artefact to me, not an optical one. But it's curious that you say that it's present in the RAW file. The type of CA correction which is typically automatically applied by a RAW converter is usually based on differential scaling of the RGB channels, whereas the effect in your crops looks more like badly tuned manual de-fringing. What do the "good" shots look like in comparison?

Perfect.

Colombian Independence Day (7).jpg

Last edited:

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It looks like some kind of defringe PP.
At least I saw similar effects in the Rawtherapee when defringe is applied unsuitably.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My first guess is that the incident light changed somehow. Cloud shadow with natural lighting, color change when shooting different short intervals with a strobe. It is not something I'd lose any sleep over unless is happened a couple more times with different setups.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mysterious. I disagree with @oldracer — I can't think of any natural or optical phenomenon that would cause that effect, it's too localized and aggressive. I guess you could try replicating it with other subjects with similar colours to see if you can spot a common factor?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Yes, I use that manually but I never notice any correction when just clicking the box. I have to use the slider for it to correct.
I think the checkbox is extremely conservative, it only seems to do it for very minor levels that would typically get corrected in-camera if you were using JPEGs. That's why I have it left on - I've never seen it do harm. The sliders are for more extreme corrections, and can go very wrong if misused.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think the checkbox is extremely conservative, it only seems to do it for very minor levels that would typically get corrected in-camera if you were using JPEGs. That's why I have it left on - I've never seen it do harm. The sliders are for more extreme corrections, and can go very wrong if misused.
Mine reverts to "off" once I export from RAW and if I need to use it, I have to check it for each individual time I open an image. Perhaps it's something that they corrected after CS6?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Mine reverts to "off" once I export from RAW and if I need to use it, I have to check it for each individual time I open an image. Perhaps it's something that they corrected after CS6?
I set my default import profile per specific camera model to do that, with slightly tweaked sharpening and NR, and reduced reds saturation. Olympus always seems too hot on the reds.

If you want the per-image adjustment to be saved, you have to click 'Ok' to exit Camera Raw rather than 'Cancel'.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I set my default import profile per specific camera model to do that, with slightly tweaked sharpening and NR, and reduced reds saturation. Olympus always seems too hot on the reds.

If you want the per-image adjustment to be saved, you have to click 'Ok' to exit Camera Raw rather than 'Cancel'.

Nope. No OK button on RAW 9.1.1. There's a "done" button which saves the image (with the PP) without opening it, but open another image and all settings from the previous image are reverted to zero. I've found something though. If I click on the 3 bars on right on the bar under the buttons, there's a "previous conversion" in the drop down menu. This applies the settings to the new image that you used for the previous image. Thanks for helping me think for myself :)

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Nope. No OK button on RAW 9.1.1. There's a "done" button which saves the image (with the PP) without opening it, but open another image and all settings from the previous image are reverted to zero. I've found something though. If I click on the 3 bars on right on the bar under the buttons, there's a "previous conversion" in the drop down menu. This applies the settings to the new image that you used for the previous image. Thanks for helping me think for myself :)
Oh yeah Done is the one. That should save the setting to the current one, but you're right it doesn't apply to a new image. Does your version let you clone selective settings from one image to another when you open multiple? That's great for multiple shots of the same subject and scene. After you open multiple, select the ones you want and the option should be in the menu when you right-click on the selection. The primary highlighted one is the one the settings are copied from.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom