Oldest street

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Iansky, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I was with my wife in Wells, Somerset last weekend as she was doing some styling for a hen party, I popped into town and took a few photos one was of this street called Vicars close, it is the oldest continuously occupied street in Europe and has had occupants all the time since 1360.

The other shot is of Wells Cathedral, they started to build this in 1180 and it was completed in 1306, it still has over 300 of the original statutes.

Some amazing architecture

Oldest_continuously_lived_in_street.

Wells_Cathedral.

• Like Like x 23
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That street looks like a photographer's dream, what a great picture! :smile:

3. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

dito John!!!

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Those are lovely. There's an art to taking nice shots of buildings like that, speaking as someone with hundreds of duds.

5. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    great shots... could you post the color ones as well?

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I don't see any 'for sale' signs.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks guys,

There is a very famous school coincidentally called "Wells Cathedral School", some of the houses are used as accommodation for students and others are occupied by clergy.

It is an incredible street and I did not want to spoil the imapct of the buildings or detract from the age so that is why I posted in B&W not colour.

The Cathedral is a monolith of a building and next time I visit I intend to allow suitable time to go inside but even the outside is very imposing and dominates with it's stature and age.

I also have to apologise to all who read this as I have just realised that these are images I shot not with my Mu43 but with my X100 and by the time I realised my error I had responses and thought it too rude to delete all becuase of my error - Humble apologies to all and I am happy to delete all if it is necessary.

8. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Really good images, as usual! Thanks.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great shots and awesome history - must be incredible just to walk there. :cool:

10. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    great shot . I normally prefer color . BUt this B & W is just perfect on the second shot. DId you leave it in standard camera B & W setting or did you shoot RAW
    and have your own preset?

Dave

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Silver Efex Pro2

Hi Dave,

I shoot all my images in Raw and convert to B&W using Silver Efex Pro as for me it is the best B&W image convertor available.

12. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I guess it could be a touchy subject for some and it's good of you to point it out, Ian, but in the context of this thread who cares what camera was used? I suspect that all the creative choices were made by the photographer with no input whatsoever by the camera! It certainly would have been a shame not to have seen these pictures. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks

Thanks John,

It had been a long day and I inadvertently posted on this site instead of sister site - too tired, too eager!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Fantastic history and beautiful images, Ian. As always, your black and white processing is stellar.

• Like Like x 1
  15. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    What can i tell you Ian?Every one of your shots is a masterpiece and especially your black and white ones!Very good work and thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1