1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Older Olympus Models

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photoeagle, Jan 17, 2016.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    I have noticed that several of the Olympus models, have the older models still available at decent price points.

Does having the newest model more advantageous than the older model?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Quite a generic question here.

Yes, latest models are better in some way then the previous one but it depends on the segment too. For example the E-M10 mk2 is better then the original E-M10 (better IBIS, better EVF) but is no better then the oldest E-M1.

Then it depends if you are considering sensor IQ alone (that is the same for all the Oly 16MP cameras) or the extra features too.

The E-M5 has weather sealing and five axis IBIS where the E-M10 mk2 does not but has wifi, peaking and flash. Here "better" really depends on what you need.

All these cameras share the same sensor: E-PM2, E-PL5, E-PL6, E-PL7, EP-5, E-M5 all models, E-M10 all models, E-M1. You can pick your ideal price/feature point getting the same IQ.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Obviously yes. Every newer model has added something new. Whether whatever was added is worth it though, that's up to you to decide. Pretty much all the 16MP bodies are on par with IQ, it's everything else which has improved.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    New models get brought out for the purpose of selling more cameras whether that equates to a better camera is really up to you. I just bought an E-M10 despite the "improved" E-M10 mk II being available and well within my budget (not to mention the deals on the original E-M5's). I chose the E-M10 because I found the E-M10 mk II's new dials awkward and the new design a bit box and ugly compared to the previous model. It had some improvements like a better EVF, 5 axis IBIS etc. but none of them were things that mattered to me. So in this situation the E-M10 was a better option. Now, someone else may feel completely differently and the new features may be precisely the kinds of things they want/need. My point is that you need to look at whether or not the new models offer something you want and is the price difference worth it.

FWIW I think the photographer has more impact on the quality of the image than any improvements in the camera itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It varies from model to model, but the older discounted models are often the best bang for the buck. It's certainly cheaper buying one generation behind the newest.

6. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    WiFi is important to pros, but for the advanced amateur the older models offer the same image quality, access to the same lenses as the new models.

I just purchased an EM-5 body for peanuts and am thrilled to death.

BTW: the "latest model" doesn't stay the latest model for very long. So you can pay a premium now, or wait and pay the new premium, or get something nice right now and enjoy it. You can get a discount on the latest model just as soon as the next latest model comes out.

P.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think the answer is complicated.
    For some purposes some older models are better than all or some new models,
    but the devil's in the details
    and that knowledge takes experience with those older models.

8. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I'm looking to upgrade from my E-PL5, and would buy an older model except that if I'm going to spend any money on a new camera I want two features: 5-axis IBIS (available in some current/recent models) and global shutter (which AFAIK is not yet available on any models, but correct me if I'm wrong). I expect the new Pen F will offer these features, and eventually the new E-M1.

Edit: When I said "global shutter," I should have said that I'm looking for an effective solution to the shutter shock issue that affects some of the current/recent models. I'm sure there are other solutions to the issue, but a global shutter appears to be an effective and do-able solution.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Release 4.0 fw for the E-M1 solves the shutter shock problem with the 0 sec delay (this is not a new setting, but works much better). Silent mode/electronic shutter of course works, but may have rolling shutter problems depending on the subject. I believe that a global shutter depends on certain sensor characteristics, and since Olympus has no control over the sensors they buy, I wouldn't count on this as a feature for a new E-M1.

10. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the firmware solutions to date in other Olympus cameras have all involved some short delay (e.g. 1/25th of a second) before the shutter is actuated, in order to allow time for the vibrations to die down. I gather that this has improved things, and if I had one of the affected models I would welcome the feature, but if I'm looking to spend money on a new camera I would prefer a solution without any added delay (for my needs, anyway). I would prefer a Pen-style camera, or a smaller OM-D camera, rather than the E-M1, so unfortunately that rules out any other current/recent models.

11. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Yes, it drains your financial resources quicker. :) as I recently posted in another forum. I always believe in buying the minimum camera equipment to get the job done without resorting to using plastic and to use the rest of the money to take my trips. (In my case motorcycle trips.) Having the best, latest, most advanced camera equipment is meaningless unless you have the funds to go and photograph what inspires you. Too many people are buying expensive cameras or equipment that they fantasize they may need and then staying at home taking pictures of their cats because they cannot afford to go to places they would rather photograph. There are shooters producing great images with cameras that are five or more years old.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Every new camera has something new and "better" than prior versions. If it's worth it to you is only something you can determine.

But there are plenty that great bargains out there. The current deal on the E-P5 with the EVF and 17mm is a killer and well worth it if you're in the market. $599 and you could sell off the EVF and 17mm if you don't need them. You could come out with the body for $250-$300.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There will be a slight delay but it's not to wait for anything. Only the early models like the E-M5 used a true delay (1/20s I think). The ones that have 0s setting use an electronic first curtain (not mechanical) which is a little slower than using mechanical first curtain. It's what most new cameras use to reduce shutter shock, it's not just Olympus.

14. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Good to know. I was considering an E-P5 as they appear to be on close-out and it's about all I can afford with my pathetic Canadian dollars, but I was under the impression that the anti-shock feature added a delay. If it's truly a 0 second delay as you've indicated, then I'm going to take a hard look at an E-P5!

15. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion of shutter shock (there's already enough of that elsewhere in the forum!), but it's an important issue for anyone considering buying an older model of camera. A little investigation turned up this article at dpreview which states that in the E-P5 firmware update "Olympus's implementation [of electronic first curtain] is however subtly different - the physical shutter still closes and opens as usual, but the exposure is slightly delayed to allow any vibrations to die down, and then started electronically."

16. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Thank you for the help and suggestions. I'm seriously considering picking up a E-M5. I was thinking of adding another lens beside the kit lens, any suggestions?

17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    What do you shoot most? What budget? Could be anything: P20, P25/1.7, S60, O45, O75.

18. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Most likely will be shooting nature and lanescapes

19. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    The E-P5 is a great value regardless of what the PEN-F turns out to be like. But are there quantum improvements between models? Sometimes, yes.

The difference between the EPM1 and EPM2 are vast. The differences between the E-M10 and its younger sibling are not as vast. I'd argue that for my purposes, the sensor and processor being the same--along with many other features--I can take most of the same photos with the older model and save $$$.

20. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    if you are looking for something a bit longer maybe the excellent value for money 40-150mm f4-5.6 or a prime from Sigma like the brilliant 60mm f2.8DN?
    Hard to get more value than those two lenses...