Old unexposed film

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Thanks...too late! I blew it off with a bulb (ear syringe, not one of those weak ones with a brush) then used a lens cleaning wipe, and then lens tissue with condensation. Seems to be ok. It had some really bad fogging along the edge which seems to be gone.
If you screw up the mirror, I've got three bodies, one of which is dead. But the mirror in it is still alive...

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And that is a beauty! External design by a German, Hans Muth, of course! Note the sloping LCD display. Things like that shows that some thought has gone into it!
It's crazy how many innovations in photography were brought about by Minolta. They just couldn't seem to get ahead in the game.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
If you screw up the mirror, I've got three bodies, one of which is dead. But the mirror in it is still alive...
What a generous offer, thank you. Funny thing is I didn't even want the body, just the A mount lenses. Yet here I am cleaning it up and walking around the house clicking the button!

What it it about that "kerchunk" followed by the whir of the motor winding the film? Takes me back. My last film camera was the first version of the Maxxum. This one is much more sleek and savvy looking.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
What a generous offer, thank you. Funny thing is I didn't even want the body, just the A mount lenses. Yet here I am cleaning it up and walking around the house clicking the button!

What it it about that "kerchunk" followed by the whir of the motor winding the film? Takes me back. My last film camera was the first version of the Maxxum. This one is much more sleek and savvy looking.
The other week I butchered a dead 7000AF. The first generation AF Minolta.

I wanted to swap the plastic bayonet mount in a 300si (one of the freaky looking ones with a rigidly mounted flash on top, fourth generation) for a metal mount.

As I, on the way, destroyed the screws on the 7000AF mount, I ended up harvesting the mount from the dead 7000i instead.

So that body is now fitted with a plastic mount. Which makes it one of a kind!

But back to the 7000AF. It was a goddam rats nest inside. Obviously not meant to be dismantled and then put back together again, by me...

But I harvested the penta prism, the focusing screen, the data back, the battery holder for 4 AA batteries (which actually still works after removing a ton of oxide from it! A relief to not have to pay through my nose for 2CR5!) which I now use in my other 7000AF.

And the Minolta logo from the front of the prism. Going to pimp a no name p&s with that, instead of the Commodore logo now adorning it.

The only thing solid in the whole camera (except the nice prism, the shutter, and the mount) is the mirror housing, which is made of metal. Rest is flimsy plastic. What a difference from the SR's.

To get the mount, I'll have to use a saw. But first I'll use the butchered cadaver to scare my brother, @AJ68, with... Heh, heh, heh...

When I've hacked through the plastic holding my mount, I'm going to have a look at the mirror housing. Maybe I can can find a way to remove the mirror without damaging it.

And with some luck, it could fit the other models Dynax. The focusing screens do. Different af points marked of course. But swappable.

And the mirror has the light meter segments on it, which is different between models. If I can get that out, I'll just mail it to you in a letter between some cardboard.

And, yes, I know that you have the 7000i, and I'm talking about the 7000AF!

But if you have (hope not!) already damaged yours, you've got nothing to lose. And hopefully the 7000i is better put together than the AF.

If we get this far along the road, it might be an idea to look for a service manual....

If the mirror swap is at all doable, I'll then get you my 7000i mirror.

EDIT: I was too rash. The strap lugs are also metal, therefore reliably solid! But that's it.

And I've watched, with some glee, my brother's, @AJ68, face pale and contort at the view of the insides of the 7000AF.

There's fun to be had in the happy world of cameras 😂!

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The other week I butchered a dead 7000AF. The first generation AF Minolta.

I wanted to swap the plastic bayonet mount in a 300si (one of the freaky looking ones with a rigidly mounted flash on top, fourth generation) for a metal mount.

As I, on the way, destroyed the screws on the 7000AF mount, I ended up harvesting the mount from the dead 7000i instead.

So that body now is fitted with a plastic mount. Which makes it one of a kind!

But back to the 7000AF. It was a goddam rats nest inside. Obviously not meant to be dismantled and then put back together again, by me...

But I harvested the penta prism, the focusing screen, the data back, the battery holder for 4 AA batteries (which actually still works after removing a ton of oxide from it! A relief to not have to pay through my nose for 2CR5!) which I now use in my other 7000AF.

And the Minolta logo from the front of the prism. Going to pimp a no name p&s with that, instead of the Commodore logo now adorning it.

The only thing solid in the whole camera (except the nice prism, the shutter, and the mount) is the mirror housing, which is made of metal. Rest is flimsy plastic. What a difference from the SR's.

To get the mount, I'll have to use a saw. But first I'll use the butchered cadaver to scare my brother, @AJ68, with... Heh, heh, heh...

When I've hacked through the plastic holding my mount, I'm going to have a look at the mirror housing. Maybe I can can find a way to remove the mirror without damaging it.

And with some luck, it could fit the other models Dynax. The focusing screens do. Different af points marked of course. But swappable.

And the mirror has the light meter segments on it, which is different between models. If I can get that out, I'll just mail it to you in a letter between some cardboard.

And, yes, I know that you have the 7000i, and I'm talking about the 7000AF!

But if you have (hope not!) already damaged yours, you've got nothing to lose. And hopefully the 7000i is better put together than the AF.

If we get this far along the road, it might be an idea to look for a service manual....

If the mirror swap is at all doable, I'll then get you my 7000i mirror.
Mine is working fine and nicely clean now. I would bet the cost to ship that to me from Sweden would be higher than me just buying another one locally. I see them all the time for $20 and up.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Mine is working fine and nicely clean now. I would bet the cost to ship that to me from Sweden would be higher than me just buying another one locally. I see them all the time for $20 and up.
I was honestly just thinking of sending you the mirror. That's if it was possible to remove it undamaged.

If not, the question would be moot... 😁

Have fun with your (not top, but enthusiast model!) 7000i! What lenses did you get?

Btw, $20 is way overpriced!! I got my three bodies for less, together, including shipping!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I was honestly just thinking of sending you the mirror. That's if it was possible to remove it undamaged.

If not, the question would be moot... 😁

Have fun with your (not top, but enthusiast model!) 7000i! What lenses did you get?

Btw, $20 is way overpriced!! I got my three bodies for less, together, including shipping!
There are cheaper ones if I want to go through ebay. I am willing to pay a bit more if I can hold it in my hand first.

Lenses are the 50 1.7 and the 70-210. I also have a 28-105 coming from KEH along with a Sony A700 body, which was the reason for the purchase. The Maxxum body just came along with the rest, the fact that it still works is gravy. Here's the setup I got for $50, photo cross posted to show us your film cameras.

50503845252_dd683d9875_k.jpg Maxxum by telecast, on Flickr

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I've been checking the respective mirrors.

The engraved pattern of the 7000AF mirror I was talking about isn't there on the 7000i mirror.

That looks to have a translucent rectangle, roughly in the center of the mirror, which probably is in front of a CMOS sensor.

This sensor is, I'd guess, handling both the AF and the light metering. Only guessing here, but it might be like that...

On the other hand, sensors and stuff notwithstanding, I actually think it would be possible to swap the mirror between the two.

And get a really really schizoid SLR! The CPU would most likely curl up and cry like a little girl!

Picture of the two unique Dynax/Maxxum models:

FV5_0697-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Note the different number of contact points in fourth and second generation Minolta AF!

Should be some collectors value here 😂 ...

Picture of the P&S and the cannibalized 7000AF:

FV5_0699-01.jpeg

And this P&S is a one of a kind item too!

eBay, here I come!

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
There are cheaper ones if I want to go through ebay. I am willing to pay a bit more if I can hold it in my hand first.

Lenses are the 50 1.7 and the 70-210. I also have a 28-105 coming from KEH along with a Sony A700 body, which was the reason for the purchase. The Maxxum body just came along with the rest, the fact that it still works is gravy. Here's the setup I got for $50:

View attachment 853531Maxxum by telecast, on Flickr
Not half bad! And an extra eye cup too!

Btw, I'll swap you all three of my unique collector's items, and an A290 for that 700!

EDIT: Thanks a lot for turning down my offer!!!

I must have thought that I was trading for an 850. But your 700 is practically same as my 200. I don't know what I was thinking!

Stupid Sony misleading numbering system! System, btw. What system? They must've been high on the sake or something...

So, had you accepted, I would have had my nuts in the proverbial vice! Thanks again!

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Just ordered a Sony 18-55 and a Minolta 75-300 from KEH. The 75-300 is a bargain grade, which I've had good luck with in the past. It cost a whopping $14.00. I needed a body cap and rear lens cap for the 7000i, the only two things missing. With the $30 18-55 and the 2 caps, I needed to spend a bit more $ to put me into free shipping. If the lens turns out to be trash they will honor the 6 month warranty. I will probably eventually get the 100-300 APO, but I figured getting even a poor lens that functions is better than spending $ on shipping!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Not half bad! And an extra eye cup too!

Btw, I'll swap you all three of my unique collector's items, and an A290 for that 700!
Funny guy! No thanks. The eye cup isn't extra, there isn't one on it now. The strap has the eyepiece blackout for shooting with your eye away from the viewfinder. You can just make it out to the left of the camera.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Check this out. The original receipt from almost exactly 30 years ago. He bought it on October 5th, 1990. $733 was no small amount back then. The red marks are a returned battery, he must have found one in the kit and returned the one he purchased. I point that out because the price he paid back then was what I paid for one yesterday. In fact, I got a dollar discount for ordering online and picking it up at the store, so I paid less.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I got a 75-300 in my buy of a 505si Super.

I think I paid about $40 for this. Mint condition of course!

Minolta 505si (1)-01.jpeg

It's a pretty cool lens on a digital body with IBIS! And with metal bayonet and nice close focusing distance too! It's pretty awesome to be able to use a 450mm eq lens indoors for cat photography at maybe 3 meter distance.

FV5_0454-01.jpeg

Btw, I also put a metal mount on a 505si body my brother @AJ68 gifted me together with the 300si and the 7000AF bodies.

I think the mount is the only difference between the 505si and the 505si Super, which came from the factory with a metal mount already installed! I'll have to check that some time. They're also using 2xCR2 batteries which is much better than the 2CR5! Btw, if you're not using the 7000i for a while, remove the battery and put it in the fridge. Those buggers have a tendency to go flat if you leave them in the camera for a week.

And I'll have to check my 505si Super purchase for the receipt. It might be amongst the bundle of manuals. And also, these straps are really good! That's half the purchase price of our kits just in strap value!

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
So, I'm shooting a roll of the Fuji now. The rest were put in the freezer just in case. Since they've all been removed from the boxes I don't know what the date is. I'm shooting a few shots at 200, 100, and 50 just to see how they turn out. I will then assume that the remaining rolls are from the same decade and treat them the same.

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
The 7000i was made roughly from 1988 to 1993. Consequently, the film could be 30 years old or older. I think it is a good idea to try one roll for non-critical shooting. That way it would not be the end of the world if the results are poor. Chances are you will get some images but the color will be poor. In other words, don't shoot your cousin's wedding with it.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Well, it can't be all that old. This was with the flash, just normal ISO. Most of the shots I took with normal ISO were fine. In fact, most of the shots were fine, exposure wise.

Kitty by telecast, on Flickr

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Awesome news for both the film and camera!
Yeah, I'm anxious to shoot another roll.

All those white specks are from the backlight on the scanner for negative conversion. First time I ever used it for that, just prints and slides before. I didn't see them until the files were uploaded. Nothing worth going back for, but I was able to clean it and they're now gone.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom