Old unexposed film

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I just bought a Maxxum 7000i for the lenses. There are 6 or 7 rolls of unexposed film in the case. What are the chances the film still any good?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some folks buy expired film just for the sake of it, try it out or sell it.
Well, I sure as heck wouldn't sell it not knowing if it's any good.

I'd hate to try it and spend the $ to get it developed for no reason. I should learn how to develop myself. I suppose I could walk around the backyard once or twice and shoot a roll.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd hate to try it and spend the $ to get it developed for no reason. I should learn how to develop myself. I suppose I could walk around the backyard once or twice and shoot a roll.
If it's B&W then it's easy to process at home for later scanning, color, not so much.

Still, it's probably cheaper to just shoot a roll and send it somewhere like thedarkroom.com to get processed and scanned for $12 -- if they turn out, you might be safe in assuming the remainder of the rolls are good.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
All color, some Kodak some Fuji, all 200. I'll probably shoot a roll and send it off. I have some more old exposed rolls I found from back in the day I need to send to the Darkroom anyway. It's cheaper to ship back 3 or 4 rolls at a time.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I think there is a rule of thumb online somewhere - something like changing the ISO for every decade past the use by date.... ah, found it...

"A general rule is to shoot the film one stop slower than box speed for every ten years past the printed expiration date. Assuming that the film has been kept in ideal conditions as per manufacturer's recommendations. For example, if you buy a roll of film that expired ten years ago and it is supposed to be 400 ISO, maybe you should shoot it as 200 ISO."

From https://www.lomography.com/magazine/164134-how-to-use-expired-film but I've seen it online several times before in other places (also B&W tends to cope a little better than colour)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I think there is a rule of thumb online somewhere - something like changing the ISO for every decade past the use by date.... ah, found it...

"A general rule is to shoot the film one stop slower than box speed for every ten years past the printed expiration date. Assuming that the film has been kept in ideal conditions as per manufacturer's recommendations. For example, if you buy a roll of film that expired ten years ago and it is supposed to be 400 ISO, maybe you should shoot it as 200 ISO."

From https://www.lomography.com/magazine/164134-how-to-use-expired-film but I've seen it online several times before in other places (also B&W tends to cope a little better than colour)
Thanks for that! I knew someone on this forum would have the answer.

Of course I have no idea how it was stored. I am going to buy a battery and check the camera anyway, so I'll just load a roll and shoot it, then send it off and see what happens. I can't recall if the Maxxum let's you push or pull. If so maybe I'll shoot half a roll at the correct speed and half a roll slower.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Let me rephrase that, some people knowingly buy and shoot expired film for fun of it. An artsy/experimental thing like over/under exposing or cross processing film: you can get some unique effects that could not be reproduced otherwise.

I'm not an expert, BTW. I'm just parroting what I've seen and read around the webs.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Thanks for that! I knew someone on this forum would have the answer.

Of course I have no idea how it was stored. I am going to buy a battery and check the camera anyway, so I'll just load a roll and shoot it, then send it off and see what happens. I can't recall if the Maxxum let's you push or pull. If so maybe I'll shoot half a roll at the correct speed and half a roll slower.
Most modernish cameras will let you manually specify the film iso somehow. Otherwise you can hack the film barcode on the cannister too if you can't manually specify shutter speed/aperture in a pasm style dial - https://www.35mmc.com/08/03/2014/how-recode-edit-dx-barcode-35mm-canisters/

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Most modernish cameras will let you manually specify the film iso somehow. Otherwise you can hack the film barcode on the cannister too if you can't manually specify shutter speed/aperture in a pasm style dial - https://www.35mmc.com/08/03/2014/how-recode-edit-dx-barcode-35mm-canisters/
Dials? We don' need so stinkin' dials!

ops005078.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There has to be a way, I can't image Minolta's flagship of the period would be that limited. I just picked up a battery for it so will try to fire it up when I get home. If it doesn't work I can use my old SRT or K1000.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Camera fired right up! I can change the film speed manually.

All of the film has been removed from the boxes. There are 4 rolls of Fuijicolor Super HQ and 3 rolls of Kodak Gold. All are 200. I'll shoot one and see what happens. First thing though is to clean up the glass, mirror, viewfinder, etc.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think when the author writes "ideal conditions" he doesn't mean refrigerated, just not left in a hot garage or car for x number of years.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Careful with the mirror! It’s surface coated! I use sensor cleaning swabs and liquid to clean the mirrors.
Thanks...too late! I blew it off with a bulb (ear syringe, not one of those weak ones with a brush) then used a lens cleaning wipe, and then lens tissue with condensation. Seems to be ok. It had some really bad fogging along the edge which seems to be gone.

WRay

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ray
Good! I should have mentioned blowing off the crud first! Duh! If it's just dust I'll use a Static Master brush rather than liquid! By the way, have fun. You might just get some wonderful, groovy color shifts!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Dials? We don' need so stinkin' dials!

View attachment 853391

There has to be a way, I can't image Minolta's flagship of the period would be that limited. I just picked up a battery for it so will try to fire it up when I get home. If it doesn't work I can use my old SRT or K1000.
And that is a beauty! External design by a German, Hans Muth, of course! Note the sloping LCD display. Things like that shows that some thought has gone into it!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom