1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Old Sunpak flash on OMD E5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ConChuot, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ConChuot

ConChuot Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    I just bought an old Sunpak flash on Ebay. The seller said that TTL flash compatable. Seller told me that it was used on his film camera Nikon N90. But I am not sure if I should try on my OMD-E5 that I will receive next week. I affraid it will damage my precious OMD E5. Any recommend? Thanks

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    You need a DC volt meter. With the flash off the camera and on, the voltage between the center contact on the bottom of the flash and the side contacts to the camera's hot shoe (ground). If the voltage is 20v, or less, it ok to use on the Olympus. It will not work in TTL mode. I will work in Auto or manual mode. (I use my Nikon flashes on my OM-D all the time.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Every brand f camera has a different TTL standard, pin arrangement, communication protocols, and voltages. If you use a non-compatible TTL flash on your camera you can damage the camera and/or flash, even if the trigger voltage is safe.

Now some flashes have a manual mode, but there's still usually voltages/signals on the TTL pins.

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    the wein voltage adapter @ B and H for $40 or so dollars is your solution. Attatch it to the hotshoe, and plug in the PC sync cable, like others said, no TTL. The Wein adapter even retains the use of the hotshoe WHILE the pc sync cable is being used. Which is VERY handy. Considering most Sunpaks I've used were the handle mounted versions that could be very handy to have that hot shoe to bounce in some fill...

• Like Like x 1
  6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    The Nikon hotshoe pin/contact arrangement basically has all the TTL signals in different spots from the Canon hotshoe: they won't contact if the flash is seated properly on the shoe. I've used a Nikon SB-26 on my Canon dSLRs this way. And the MFT hotshoe has identical placement to Canon's (only with one less pin/contact). My guess is that if the sync voltage is low enough, and the flash is always seated properly (or the TTL pins are taped over or removed), then it will be safe to use on the hotshoe in Manual mode. But no TTL, no FP mode, no 2nd curtain sync, etc. Only a sync signal is possible, and the flash has to be used in Manual mode. If it has an Auto(thyristor) mode, that should work fine as a TTL alternative.