1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Old Stuff" -- an E-M5 short film

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by mgowin, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    I've been wanting to try the OM-D E-M5 as a filmmaking tool so I made this:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/61765641]Old Stuff on Vimeo[/ame]

Still have a lot to learn (especially with audio) but this was a fun first step.

Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    Love it...
    Is the B&W coming from the camera or in post-processing?

3. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Nice- but relatively speaking, the guy at the end doesn't look too old...

4. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    Thanks.

B&W was done on each clip in post in iMovie '11:

1. Set saturation to 0
    2. Adjusted black and white levels
    3. Boosted the contrast a bit to taste

Fancy, right?

5. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    Relatively, Marc, perhaps. But my kids think I'm old. :wink:

Cheers--

Michael

6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing that. I need to get around to learning how to shoot and edit video. I should do a little project like this to help me learn.

7. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    Thanks, mrjr.

A personal project is a great way to get started. The secret for me: choose an interesting idea and keep it small. The more constraints or restrictions you put on the project, the better.

Here's what I mean:

For this film, I wanted to do the whole thing in two days and wanted the finished product to be under 3 minutes. After I came up with the theme (old stuff), shooting was mostly done in and around my home with a 90-minute jaunt downtown. I found a song that fit my time limit and then went to work on post-production. During editing, I limited each clip to 4 seconds (a couple may have gone beyond that, but most were 4 seconds).

Having started and abandoned big ideas in the past, this approach allowed me to get something done in a short time.

8. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I see. Thanks for sharing your approach. I agree that constraints usually bring out the best in our creativity and productivity. Anyway, the formula you chose seems to have worked a treat. As soon as I get a bigger hard drive, there will be video, haha. I've decided that should happen. Thanks again.

9. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    Michael, I looked at this and your other two videos on Vimeo, and I must say that I really like your quiet style, especially the Bingo video where you replaced the room noises with over-dubbed music, gave it a very documentary style that inspires me to try my hand at it. Thanks for sharing.

~Joe

10. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    Thanks for the kind words, Joe.

11. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Very nice. The OM-D's files are very good for B&W conversion. Subtle tones, rich blacks, and lots of leeway to play with shadow, and hightlights.

Did you play the transcription of Bach's Cello Suite (BWV1007) yourself? I'm playing the Piano too, and can't find sheets. Do you happen to have them?

12. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    Thanks.

No, I didn't play the Bach. You can find the track here. Maybe the pianist can help you ;)

13. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I love it. Quick question, did you shoot in 720p or 1080i?

Thanks, Dan

14. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    Hey Dan--thanks.

This was shot at 1080, whatever the highest quality setting is for movies (don't have the camera at hand now).

Are you asking because it looks good or because you think it should look better than it does?

Cheers--

Michael

15. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    Cool work - love it!

16. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    I have sort of come around to a similar idea, that I need to pick a really concise theme or story as a starter project. I like the idea of setting a filming time limit to really force yourself to finish getting your footage done and then move on to editing. Anything to not have excuses to drag it out.

How did you pick 4 seconds for your clip length? I have noticed this seems to vary. Are there rules of thumb about clip length?

17. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Great work.
    The humorous ending works well
    Like the constraints ideas - I tend to work much better myself within set constraints like this with regard to tasks in general - encourages you to focus the mind much more clearly and onto what is needed and no more
    Regards
    Rob

18. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I was asking because it looks good to me and I just wanted to know what you'd used.

I'm starting to shoot some video and I am planning a project. I am torn between the progressive frames of 720p and the increased resolution of 1080i. Of course this is why I'm doing a bunch of tests right now to see what works best for what I'm doing. I know that if I want more options or get more serious I'll get something like the GH2 or GH3, but for now my E-M5 is perfect for what I need.

Thanks!

Dan

19. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    Thanks, Ted.

It was a very scientific process: the default clip length in iMovie is 4 seconds, so that's what I used. :rolleyes:

Vimeo has a running "5x5" project--5 clips of 5 seconds each. I initially planned to do 5 second segments but couldn't find out where to change the default clip length in iMovie.

Lame, I know.

20. mgowin

mgowin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Lincoln, IL
    I don't know enough about the advantages of progressive vs. interlaced to choose one over the other. I just figured that 1080 was better than 720.

Is the quality of 720p that much better than 1080i that a person would choose 720p? What are the advantages of "p" vs. "i?"

MG