1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

old school photographer

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Southcross, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    Recently picked up an Olympus E-PL1... first "new" camera I've bought in 10+ years, but not my first digital though (been limping along on an older Kodak 4mp "prosumer" camera for a long long time). I used to do a lot of shooting in 35mm (Canon FD, Canon EOSs), 6x4.5 (Mamiya 645), and 4x5 (Calumet) View camera. I had aspirations of going Pro, but alas the photo industry started the switch to digital and I couldn't afford to replace all my equip with quality digitals.

Photographic specialties include Product and Architecture photography. Looking to jump back into it, as well as doing Sports and Astrophotography.

2. amalric

amalric  

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    Perhaps you should post some shots?

3. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    hmm... don't really have too much in the way of digital photos to share (yet), other than random snapshots I've taken over the years. I used to have a lot of my transparencies scanned into Kodak Photo CDs, I don't even remember what I did with those discs :/

edit... come to think of it, I should just start re-shooting a lot of the stuff I've done. Maybe I will get lucky a 2nd time around in not getting trespassing tickets LOLz

4. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    correction... was playing around with the camera/learning settings, took and posted one "keeper" last night LOL!

Titled:
    I am not impressed with this new "Camera"?!
    th_PB150026.

Completely off hand, image stabilization turned off, manually focused (too low ambient light to auto-focus). Semi-translucent paper masking over flash head to diffuse light pattern. I was very impressed how it captured my cat's chin-hairs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    Welcome! Considering the pic was handheld with no IBIS engaged, it's quite an impressive pic! The e-pl1 is no slouch and a good way to get into the m4/3 world. I hope you kept your lenses from your film days as they can be adapted onto m4/3.

6. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    hehe, thanks! it's too bad Photobucket downsizes the files, you can see each and every little hair on his face. :/ you can also see the narrow depth of field, as it goes from super sharp at the tip of his nose and slowly fades to out of focus by the time you get to the eyes. I was just kind of messing around with it, and in hind sight I should have shot it at f8

As for the IS feature, I'm skeptical about non-gyroscopic IS.. it know it works, sorta LOL

the E-PL1 was the right combination of price and features, all the reviews I read gave it a lot of praise, and only griped about the "custom" effects processing (stuff I won't normally use). I did keep all of my lenses, ALL.. LOL! I have an adapter coming for my Canon FD lenses, I can't wait to try out my 135mm f2.5 :biggrin: Eventually I will have to get an EOS adapter for my 17-35 f3.5 and 80-200 f2.8L. I might even adapt my Mamiya lenses, my 1:1 80mm Macro would be awesome to use, but those adapters are stupid expensive.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome - I think you'll find the IBIS work surprisingly well. :cool:

9. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

10. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the e-pl1 is a lean, mean, picture taking machine....