1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

old school/film esque lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gnod, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    hi everyone!

I don't know how to clearly describe this but i was wondering if someone can kindly suggest, with examples, an adapted lens that produces a feeling of an old school, film-esque feel to the shots? I'm trying to find examples to help with my explanation right now and will update when i find adequate examples.

Thanks!

2. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    TBH, I think it would be better/easier to apply a film look in post, rather than trying to find a lens to do it.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I would that "film" look had more to do with the film a person was using than the lenses (like the way tri-x has a very distinctive look), and I agree with kchau...I'd do that in post. Also different lenses have different looks from one another. When you get some examples up it'll be easier to give you more useful advice.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Not only much easier, but greater variety. Software allows you to emulate many types of film and processing as well as capturing the feel of aged photos.

6. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    hmm i'm having trouble locating some photos i've seen over the weekend but any suggestions on how i can apply this during PP?

7. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Try Nik's Color Efex Pro. It has 'Film Effect' with various different films. From Agfa to Fuji to Fujichrome to Kodachrome to Kodak. I cannot vouch for their closeness to the source but they do look nice on some photos. :smile:

EDIT: I used it on this one. I forgot which film I picked.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    instagram

9. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    lol..

10. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I tried doing things in post but ultimately I found that if I wanted my pictures to look like film, it was much easier and much more fulfilling to just shoot film.

11. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    Agreed! Eventually I want to move to film a bit.

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    For the original question. Use lenses that have character. Uncated c-mount lenses, takumars, cat lenses are particularly vintage in look. Look for some cheapo USSR lenses. I don't really think the post effects are there yet, they tend to be to exagerated. ...or just shoot film?

13. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I would go with the single coated russian lens. The helios 44-2 and the pentacon auto 1.8/50 come to mind.
    The takumar 50/1.4@1.4 and the takumar 85/1.8@1.8 will give that glow factor of the 70's.
    The tessar optical formula is one of the best ever and will also give you a vintage like look. It was the major optical formula in the 60's and still is by far one of the best. There's the Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 lens and the impressive macro-takumar 4/50 both are tessar's.

If you decide to shoot film, that´s the best way to go. For B&W use old film formulas (t-max looks more digital). Color film is more tricky and depends a lot on scanning skills.