Old Question Not Yet Answered.....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tom Swaman, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

O.K., now we have two PL 25mm f/1.4 lenses available, one 4/3rds and one MFT. Which one offers the better IQ?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Probably a question for David, aka Soundimageplus.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The short answer is that it depends. They're both good in the center (the old one is a tad better). At the corners, the older one is better at wider apertures, but the newer one is better stopped down. Bokeh is down to a matter of preference. CA is lower on the new one except at f/1.4. Vignetting is somewhat worse on the new one as is distortion, though the differences aren't huge.

The new one however focuses much faster, is less than half the weight, and costs less. So unless you plan on using the lens on a 4/3 camera as well, I don't see much point in getting the older version.

DH

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...or if you really want that manual aperture ring. ;)

5. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks you two. How about looking at it the other way, namely if you own the old lens, is there a major region to go for the newer lens unless you use the lens a whole lot. What I read in what you wrote is that there is not enough difference between the two. I really was curious about the difference in flare/contrast control/rendition of the two lenses. It sounds like I shall keep my elephant and leave the gazelle for others.

Best regards,
    Tom

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Flare may be better on m43 version, as it has new nd coating which is supposed to affect flare issues. Size wise it's smaller but still a fair sized lens for m43.

7. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Grinch. I am aware of what you wrote, but I am wondering what actual users have found. My PL 25 f/1.4, old variety, is a very good lens and yes it is heave, but not like the DSLRs or full frame giants I left behind.

Best regards,
    Tom

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I have the m43 version, and was commenting on size and use so far...w/out hood still no noticeable flare to my untrained novice eye. Sizewise, it still is large for a m43 lens, my 20 with hood is smaller than just the lens alone. I've inquired to a few owners of your version including salesman, who told me he believes the 4/3 version is superior but at the cost of AF speed and cost. He did say the one true bonus was the manual aperture ring as I'm sure your aware. I have looked for a comparison review and have seen none so far.

9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Strange. My FF 50/1.8 is 1/3 the weight and half the size of the 25/1.4 D. I always considered it to be one of the most oversized lenses for what it was.

DH

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Does it work on Panny m4/3? I know it doesn't work on Olympus m4/3 (or DSLRs).

DH

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yes, it works on Panasonic m4/3 and not Olympus. But I never use mine because ALL my other lenses don't have this control. I use it exactly the same as all my other m4/3 lenses. This may be easier for me coming from a Canon AF background.

Gordon

12. I always felt that moving the aperture control from the lens to the camera body was a good thing. The lens-mounted aperture ring seemed a lot cooler in my head than it would appear to be in practise.