1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Old Pana lenses on new Pana body?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Incalmo, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Incalmo

Incalmo New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    I've had a Lumix G1 since about 2009-ish (not long after they were released) and like it a lot. Unfortunately the collar switch that chooses shooting mode (Timer, single, multi shot) has failed and it's now stuck on timer. This isn't so bad when shooting with a tripod, but it's a pain at other times. I don't suppose that getting it fixed would be cost-effective, so I'm thinking of getting a G6 body (or maybe G5, I need to compare the features, and figure out if the G6 is worth the extra).

I already have some lenses:H-FS014045 14-45mm, H-FS045200 45-200mm and H-H014 14mm

Now to my question. Will my lenses be OK for use with a G6 body?

I'm about to display my complete ignorance of OIS: The two zoom lenses I own are MEGA OIS. Quite what the implications of this are, I'm not sure. The latest and greatest thing seems to be POWER OIS. Would a G6 (or G5) body be happy with my lenses?

Are there other reasons why I shouldn't use my "old" (four whole years old!) M4/3 lenses with a new body? NB I won't be using it for video so if there is an issue with noisy AF I don't care about that.

Thanks in advance, and apols if this is a dumb question. I just don't want to suddenly find that I need to purchase new lenses as well as a new body, and I've searched around without finding a definitive answer.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lenses work fine with no problem!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Incalmo

Incalmo New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks for a super-fast response. :) I thought that was probably the case. Just wasn't sure.

4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I also own a G1 body with the exact same zooms you have. I don't find any problem using them on my newer G5 or my GX1.
    So, don't worry.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Incalmo

Incalmo New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    Got my G6! Only had limited time to play with it but all my lenses are working fine! Including, interestingly, a 4/3 Olympus 35mm macro (with m4/3) adapter, which wouldn't auto focus on my g1 but does (albeit stutteringly) on the G6. But perhaps I shouldn't mention that on a native lenses forum.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.