1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

old or new lenses?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by michele coser, Jul 19, 2012.

1. michele coser

michele coser Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Well i have a GH1 with the standard 14-42 lens and an adapted Yashica 28-80mm 3.9-4.9. I saw on ebay a yashica 50mm 1.9 and a 24mm 1:2.8 and i was thinking of buyng them (togeter for less than 100€) ...
    but since the otyher yashica lens give some "vintage" images (i guess is from the lack of a lens hood but it might be just the fact that is an old lens); does it worth or it might be save some money and buy one of the sigma (19 or 30mm)?

I might post some images from the 28-80 if you're interested to see

2. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Depends.

Your MF lenses can be tricky and slow to focus, although you can get some excellent lenses for very little money. Not sure about the ones you listed. The 50mm would make a nice portrait lens, that's equivalent to 100mm f1.8 with the x2 crop factor. Search on this site for images taken with those lenses and see what can be done.

I'd suggest go for it. If you don't get on with them, pop them back onto evilbay and get your money back. Or you might want to save up for a panny 20/1.7 or olly 45/1.8 m43 lenses.

Check out the adapted lens threads on this site. If you look at my signiture, you'll see that I have a mix of both. I prefer using my adapted lenses, but I get better results from my native ones. I doubt I'll lose buying classic glass. My MF technique is becoming better and quicker with practice. Sometime a like to pop on a Hexanon and go for a walk and just shoot what I see. Makes good practice.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yashica was never known as a premium manufacturer, although they did make a few very nice fixed-lens 35mm rangefinder cameras. I would suspect those lenses were only average in their day, and for the most part today's lenses are much better, especially in terms of coatings and flare resistance.

They are likely to be better than your Yashica zoom, though. Most zooms from that era were much more of an optical compromise than are today's zooms. I think the Sigma's are likely to be considerably better, though.

If they're cheap enough, it won't hurt to give them a try, I suppose. As Gyles said, you can try to resell them if you're not satisfied.

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Since you already have the adapter it wouldn't hurt, those are 2 legacy focal lengths that work well on m4/3. On the other hand, 100 euro seems like a lot for 2 legacy lenses that are probably just average - I've read a fair amount about older lens manufacturers and Yashica doesn't often get mentioned as a super high-quality name. But you never know, with old lenses there is a lot of variation in how well they've aged and sometimes even a "classic" lens can turn out to have flaws while an lesser-known brand could turn out to be your diamond in the rough.

6. olyluva

olyluva Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    I beg to differ on the reputation of the Yashica lens as it pertains to the ML versions. I would you suggest you Google Yashica ML lens and check put some of claims about them being manufactured in the same factory as Carl Zeiss lens and with the same designs. The ML series of lens have become know as the poor mans Zeiss lens. I have the 50mm F1.9 and the 28mm F2.8 and I LOVE them!! If they're both ML versions and you can get them fairly cheaply I'd say get them and you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

7. olyluva

olyluva Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    FYI.. The 24mm lens is hard to find now and when it does its usually at a very high cost!!

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

8. michele coser

Apr 24, 2012
    Thenks for the info, for now i brought a Vivitar 24mm (f2.8); in a week i'll go in portugal and see how it perform with the gh1

9. alainwong

alainwong Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2012
    Montreal
    For photography with autofocus, I prefer modern lenses. The Panasonic 20mm is my favorite!

For video, vintage lenses are a steal, but it can be hard to compare to modern Panasonic 7-14 (for ultrawide on m43) and Voigtlander 25 for fast lens with lots of character.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I love to use both, but those Sigmas are actually very good lenses for such a low price.

11. michele coser

Apr 24, 2012
    The 24mm should arrive tomorrow (i hope, 'cause saturday i'll go on vacation), in the meantime a friend lent me a yashica 50mm f 2... very nice lens

12. michele coser

Apr 24, 2012
    Here is a video i shot with those 2 lenses: the 24mm (f2.8) and the 50mm (f2)
    I see that the 50mm has more contrast than the 24; but i should buy a lens hood for both.

https://vimeo.com/47645534