1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Old/New Member

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by OzRay, Feb 12, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I thought I might re-acquaint myself with the forum after ahiatus of quite a few years. I've been a 4/3s user since about year dot andwelcomed m4/3s with the introduction of the E-P1. I have several micro m4/3scameras (E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1 for my wife), but have never really been satisfiedwith them to a great extent. In fact, my favourite and almost extensively usedm4/3s camera has been my E-P1 with 17mm f2.8 lens. Unfortunately, for somereason, with the 17mm lens, it keeps turning itself on and draining the battery,so I’ve been somewhat annoyed with it lately.

Anyhow, that’s not why I’m here. Last week, I had anunfortunate accident and my E-5 body disappeared into a murky, local, riverinto which I wasn’t going to enter. Insurance came good, and because the E-5was no longer available, I ordered and received today a brand spanking new E-M1with MMF-3 adapter. Since I have a bag full and then some of top pro lenses, itwas the only body that seemed fit what I needed. My E-3 and E-1 are still goingfine, but they do show their age, though the E-1 is still a treasure.

The E-M1 has certainly surprised me, and in many ways it waswhat I was expecting of the E-5 when it came out. The extensive customisation availablewith the E-M1 controls and buttons is simply amazing and it's going to take mesome time to get my head around the camera. I was especially looking forward to using theE-M1 with my Voigtlander, Minolta M-Mount and Leica lenses, to see how theyperform. I haven’t spent enough time on these to make any statements, but I cansay that the cheap Chinese adapter I have didn’t work on the E-M1 (blankscreen). Fortunately I also have a Voigtlander adapter and that worked a treat.

I can also say that the focussing is actually very fast withthe 4/3s lenses; at least very close indoors to the E-5 and, come morning, I’llbe able to test things out in daylight. The MMF-2 adapter is very slow, so Idon’t know what mechanisms have been changed in the adapters. All I can say isthat the E-M1 is an absolute marvel and I’m really looking forward to puttingit to use.
    So given the long absence, perhaps I might be a bit moreactive in future. I’m semi-retired now and no longer doing news and sportsphotography and, after a recent tree change, hope to get inspired once again toget out there with camera in hand as a serious hobbyist and not a working photographer.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome back, Ray

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome, Ray. Congratulations on the new kit!

Regards,

Jim

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks all. I just wish there wasn't such a big time difference, it sometimes feels like communicating from another planet. Mind you, Oz sometimes feels that way. :)