Old Man in Alfama (Lisbon)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by slimshaney, Sep 7, 2011.

1. slimshaney

slimshaney Mu-43 Rookie

Hi all,

Just a quick post of a photo taken earlier this week in Lisbon.

Cheers,
    Shane :)

EDIT: The first photo is the original edit, the 2nd is one I have done after feedback on this thread - I've reduced the intensity of the vignette, and it acts as more of a frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Lovely composition and tonality, Shane. Creates a bit of mystery...

3. slimshaney

slimshaney Mu-43 Rookie

Many thanks for your comments.

It was taken 'from the hip' with a Lumix G3. I was checking another shot and saw the door opening so thought I'd see what happens. I love the articulated screen :)

I think the PP works, but I'm gonna try different things with it too.

Cheers,

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Cool shot, Shane! What lens were you using?

5. slimshaney

slimshaney Mu-43 Rookie

Hi,

Cheers for the comment - it was the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 :)

Ta,

6. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    wonderful mood and tonality

7. Great image! Colour and composition are both excellent. I'm a bit unsure about the extreme vignette, but the idea of creating a frame around the image through edge darkening is certainly appropriate for this image.

8. slimshaney

slimshaney Mu-43 Rookie

Hi and thanks for the comments - much appreciated.

The idea of the vignette was exactly that - to create a frame. Because the image is slightly cropped I felt that the edges needed something as they didn't seem 'clean'. I also feel that it helps draw attention to the gentleman's face.

Cheers,

9. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Great pic! Feels like the opening scene from an old play.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The central element is very strong and well captured. The black clothing works well to create a shroud of mystery. Even the "99" is so pronounced that one wonders how the house number plays into the scene. The vignetting to so extreme that it becomes a significant distraction and dilutes the impact of this wonderful image.

Gary

11. I think the idea of creating a frame around the image is a good one and it's something that I have done myself on many occasions. As a personal preference though I think that a gentle vignette or edge darkening would have been achieved the effect you were after. I think the image itself is sensational, but the dark vignetting actually draws me to look at the corners rather than the centre of the image. It becomes more of a feature in itself rather than a compliment to the subject when I look at it.

12. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I love every thing about it. The colors and composition are awesome :^)

13. GdenisM

GdenisM Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011
    Oh, I'll chime in and say I thought it was a GREAT catch. It "tells a story" in its own way The vignetting didn't bother me until the other guys mentioned it (I'm such a sheep....not really) - then I noticed it but it didn't take me out of the picture.

And I KNEW it was the 1.7 I've been lusting after this lens since the huge thread devoted to just this lens. And Ray sachs was kind enough to sell me his! (It just arrived). If I can't take as good pictures as the rest of you guys with it I'm returning it. Because we all know it's the LENS that takes the picture, right?

:rolleyes:

Denis

14. slimshaney

slimshaney Mu-43 Rookie

Hi,

Many thanks for your comments.

I am reediting the image slightly. I'll see what I can come up with.

Cheers,
    Shane.

15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice photo, I love the diagonal, vertical and horizontal line elements and the man is really well captured so that you wonder if he is about to leave or just looking to see what the photgrapher is photographing.
    I agree with a previous comment (Gary Ayala) and I also find the vignette too strong and it detracts from the photo.
    Great capture though.

16. slimshaney

slimshaney Mu-43 Rookie

Again, many thanks for the comments and critique everyone.

Cheers,

17. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Amazing Shane. You haven't been here long but you sure have made an impact! Being ready for the moment is what you've done really well. Love your pic.

The other night i was fiddling around in Colour Efex and i discovered that you can actually move the vignette around and position it to where you want it. So so if you wanted more on the bottom you can move it so it doesn't show on the top ect. Maybe this could work on this pic, because i do like the dark bit around the bottom but not as much on the top.

But this is trivial. The image is great anyway.

18. slimshaney

slimshaney Mu-43 Rookie

Thank you for the comments.

Yep - I've lurked around the forums for a while and decided its time to join up and post. I'll upload some more of my images when I get a chance.

I appreciate all the feedback but I'm chuffed how well this image has come across.

I've downloaded the trial of Colour Efex. I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

19. slimshaney

slimshaney Mu-43 Rookie

I've reduced the intensity of the vignette, and made it act as more of a frame.

Cheers,

[​IMG]