1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Old lens finds today

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by iamcanjim, Mar 11, 2014.

1. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    Found a MD Minolta 50 mm f1.4. Got it for $50 and they threw in an old 75-300 mm zoom for free. Not a great price but I really wanted a fast fifty (although I don't know how to use it yet).

It's neat. Photos (of the lenses) to come. They work great.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Good score.

3. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    That sounds like a fair price.

5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    The 75-300 mm definitely overwhelms the body. $50 is a great price for a good lens. Try finding a new f/1.4 for $50. Here is a tip now that you have a bid aperture. I never shoot wide open. You would be lucky to get much of your subject in focus. You will still get amazing DOF stopping down 1-2 clicks.

6. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    It takes nice pics, but it does have a very narrow dof. The 75-300 doesn't have an manufacturer markings on it, just a 'made in japan' sticker.

7. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I have this lens (only in worse shape). It's fun and good. I did find that it has a good bit of chromatic aberration though, compared to the few other similar lenses I've used. I agree with the others though that closing it up makes it much more useful.

8. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    I actually can't ID the 70-300 mm zoom. It's a mystery that an hour of googling doesn't seem to solve. It might be a Vivitar, but that lens was extendible, which the one I have is a fixed length.

It has no markings the inner front rim, or on the rim itself. On the outside of the front rim is "No. 8605687 55 o AUTO IMAGE MC ZOOM 1:5.6 f = 70 - 300 mm"

It is a typical 70's-80 zoom where the focus collar moves backward to increase zoom. At the base of the focus ring it says "f = 300 MACRO" then the ranges (6.5 ft minimum focus). Under that is "1:4 1:6"

Near the base, above the aperture ring is "LENS MADE IN JAPAN"

The aperture ring has a max of 5.6, a min of 32. 32 is green, like in Minolta made lenses.

Did Vivitar import lenses they did not put their name on?

9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    "Auto Image" is the brand -- it was one of those deals where the lens was manufactured by an established company for another company. I believe it was sold as the store brand in Astral Photo in Canada, but I could be wrong. They were usually sold as cheap consumer lenses to budget-conscious buyers.

10. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    Thanks. It's a cheap zoom made by a Kiron factory for a Canadian rebrander. Considering I have a free 90 - 250 and a 70 -210 coming to me, as well as a 28 f2.8 I will probably only use it to amuse myself.

Scored a little 37 mm UV filter at work for $2.10. Will that hurt anything on my kit Olympus 14-42?

11. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    Thanks. It's a cheap zoom made by a Kiron factory for a Canadian rebrander. Considering I have a free 90 - 250 and a 70 -210 coming to me, as well as a 28 f2.8 I will probably only use it to amuse myself.

Scored a little 37 mm UV filter at work for $2.10. Will that hurt anything on my kit Olympus 14-42?

12. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Wow, just found an Olympus 50mm Zuiko MC Auto-S 1.4 lens. I've been looking for one for quite some time. Only $25.00 with case and hood. Perfect shape. I'll post some pics after I get my adapter. I do have a question on that though . . . is this a specialized adapter since it is an Auto -S as opposed to a regular manual? I ask because on this one you have the extra silver band at the bottom and when you squeeze the buttons one is able to set the aperture and when the buttons are released the aperture goes back to wide open. Does the Auto-S adapter then automatically close the apterture to proper setting?. This seems so different from my Minolta and Pentax glass.

13. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Same normal OM adapter will work just fine. Hope you enjoy it. Just couldn't mesh with mine after the Minolta glass I have.

14. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Thanks, yes I too love the Minolta glass. I have a 58mm and the 50 1.4. Love them both. But always wanted to try the Oly 50 for comparison.