Old Helios 300mm f4.5 lens with MFT?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Donnie, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Donnie

Donnie New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2016
    I've got the chance of buying one of these plus a teleconverter (seller believes its x3) and wondering if anyone has used one with mft before and had any issues? I mean it's all for £20 so surely gotta be worth a punt?
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    They were first made in 1945, first multicoated version was 1981. With such long production dates it's hard to say which one it is exactly.

Wide open most lenses like it generally have lots of CA, improving as you stop down 1-2 stops. Personally for $20 I would take the chance for a bit of fun if you want to try something different.
  3. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    I wouldn't bother using the TC for anything other than moon shots as it will dim the view considerably and probably soften the image by a margin as well.
    You will need to stop it down for certain as mentioned but its worth a punt for £20.

Make sure it has no fungus though, thats very important.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Donnie

Donnie New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2016
    Thanks guys, its fungus free and not multicoated so must be pre 81 then but for £20? :)
  5. I have not tried one with an MFT camera,but had a lot of success with a Pentax DSLR. Mine is a 1973 version Tair 3A 300/4.5, and it's great wide open , in fact I have rarely used it stopped down. I would agree don't bother with the converter, and for me the only disadvantage to it is the weight.
    These two pics were both taken with it using a Pentax dslr (actually a Samsung Gx-10) to give you an idea, and both were wide open.
    _G100850.JPG _G101630.JPG

Hope thats of some use. I'll maybe get round to trying it with my G6 at some point
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Donnie

Donnie New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2016
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Do you have a stabilized body? Without stabilization the situations where you can use it, without a big tripod or super high ISO, are not many unless you live in a very sunny country (and I suppose you are writing from UK).
    The TC is probably 2x, maybe 1.4x. Both are good enough considering the crop factor.

There are better alternatives around, but the only one coming close to that price is the Tair that is huge, and the Helios is quite a beast too:

Canon 550D with Helios 300mm F4.5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I'm getting mixed up here, I forgot the Helios 300/4.5 is not a derivative of the Tair 3A, its actually a Japanese or possibly Korean lens, that was sold in the UK with Zenit cameras. So my pics have nothing to do with this! Oops sorry all! I can recommend the Tair though it is a beast , from what I heard the Helios 300 was not great but I hasten to add I never tried one