Old Film Guy, New to Digital, New E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PaulGiz, Jan 3, 2013.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Missed photography, but didn't like any Digital equipment. DSLRs are big, heavy, clunky and not my cup of tea and until recently, everything else was esssentially a P&S

As an old Rangefinder user the Fuji X1-Pro piqued my interest. Unfortunately, I tried it out. Very, very slow focus made it a no-go, especially at the price.

The Pens were appealing, but I wasn't sold on the 5-year-old sensor. Then the E-PL5 came out. I bought one last week and have been familiarizing myself with it. I'm loving it.

IQ, even with the kit lens is excellent, in-camera JPG engine and AWB are phenomenal. I shot some RAW as well, and, while I'll probably use it for special images, the native JPG is pretty good.

Here's a quick snap I took, Program mode, mixed daylight and fluorescent, Auto ISO (1600). Skin tones are great, neutrals are neutral, image is sharp, clear and snappy.

I'm very happy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Be careful! This can be addictive. :biggrin:
  3. dmaimo

dmaimo New to Mu-43

Dec 18, 2012
    I like this camera, i need to try. My g1 is very poor on high isos...

Enviado desde mi Xi-Note n9770
  4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hey Paul,
    I'm glad you're happy with the E-PL5. Funny thing is that you don't sound like an old film guy! Auto focus, Auto ISO, AWB, in-camera JPG engine, P mode, I had never even heard of these things until digital came along!

Don't lose control! :smile:
  5. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    After using a Canon 10D for eight years (new in 2004), I recently bought the E-PL5, and finally got a chance to work with it over the holidays. I'm really, really impressed. The kit lens is pretty good, very small and light. But I really like using my Pentax 50mm f 1.7 and 35mm f 2.8 lenses via a Fotodiox adapter. The OOC jpegs look great. Haven't tried RAW yet. If the jpegs are as good as I suspect, I may not bother much with RAW.

The E-PL5 has changed my photographic life. With the 10D, I used to spot meter in manual mode so as not to blow highlights. With the E-PL5, I can "pre-chimp" using the highlight and shadow indicators on the LCD. I bought the VF-3, which works quite well and is very handy in some cases, but I find I'm really liking the tilting LCD. Finally, the ability shoot at ISOs of 3200, 6400, and beyond is amazing.

The E-PL5 seems to have been over-shadowed by the EM-5, but the E-PL5, I think, is one of the best values out there.
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Welcome Paul. Now you need some prime lenses. ;-)
  7. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Thanks for the welcome. Need to recover my finances a bit but I believe 14, 25 and 45 are on my list.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Good choices. I have the 14 and 45 (and an E-PL5 ;-). I'm tempted by the Sigma 19, which is cheap, rattles, and is slow to start, but is very sharp.
  9. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    14, 25, 45 are what i ended up with after a year with mft system.
    as good as 25 is, i feel that 45 is arguable the best lens in the whole mft system, the colors the clarity and the price point in simply unbeatable its a must lens.
    • Like Like x 1