1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Old fashioned eats

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Lawrence A., Jun 11, 2012.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Here's an old fashioned burger joint that I've had my eye on for a while. Of course I stopped in and got a cheeseburger and shake (the kind they make with milk and ice cream) to "pay" for my shots. Love the pink and turquoise -- such typically New Mexican colors, though faded into something not quite themselves. Taken with the E=M5 and 12-50 kit lens

P6106657_copy2.

final.

• Like Like x 9
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting combo - Chinese food and hamburgers! :biggrin:

3. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I love these kind of places....nice photos! I am a big fan of mom&pop hotels too. These kinds of places are disappearing so fast in many area of the US. I like to support local businesses when I can. I love photographing them too.

4. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    oh....sounds like an interesting place to eat too....reminds me of a small Chinese place we used to eat at when I lived in Charlotte, NC. It was run by one woman and she was busy. She had the ability to cook several orders at once...and, the kitchen was open so you could see everything. Watching her was like watching a symphony perform a complicated musical piece! She never took a day off, and always worked alone. She was Chinese, but she had lived her entire life in NC and she had a big Southern accent..we would all chuckle!! I wish I had some photos or video of her to share!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree completely. This would be a great idea for a new photo thread - small, mom & pop eateries. (Or motels). :cool:

6. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    RevBob....I like that idea! A photo thread featuring mom&pops ....eateries, motels, stores, etc.. Great idea!! I just spent last weekend in Venice, Fl. and stayed in a mom&pop hotel! It was throw-back to the 50's, 60's, and 70's!! We had a wonderful time!!

7. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Nice shots, daddy-o.

Where is this place at, I have never seen it?

Lucille

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    We have a little drive-in eatery near us that's only open in the summer - jukeboxes on the counter, frosted mugs, the works. I'll have to get some shots and start the thread.

9. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    On Constitution just west of Carlisle NE. It's pretty sweet/

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Feel free to post old fashioned eateries here. That was my intention, though I did not make it clear.

The fifties era motels on Central Ave here (old route 66) are disappearing at an alarming rate. I went to photograph one recently, and it was gone. A real classic that had fallen on hard times and was apparently considered a blight on the gentrifying neighborhood. Too bad. It was great southwestern kitsch. Another, El Vado, a real classic, is empty and I fear for it, though I think there are attempts to get it placed on the national register. The TV show, "In Plain Sight" has filmed there, which may be the only reason it has escaped the wrecking ball so far. Having been born in 1951, I take personally seeing structures from the era bite the dust.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    We went to New Mexico a few summers ago for a car rally in Roswell. We then spent a little over a week traveling around the southern part of the state taking photos. We were particularly focused on Route 66 and some of the old neat hotels and food establishments. I really want to go back at some point as I just fell in love with the state.
    Can I post photos even if not taken with a M43? ( since I did not own one at the time)

12. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Works for me. I have one or two from a trip out this way before I moved here that I'd post if I can locate a print or negative to scan. I fell in love with the place too, and I knew that, even though I'm a native New Englander, I could not grow old weathering Boston winters.

13. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Lucky Boy in black and white

Here are a couple that are lacking the wonderful colors but have a feeling of the era (or that's what I hope, anyway). Taken on film with an Olympus OM-10 ($10 recent thrift store edition) and a Zuiko 35mm f2.8, on Ilford HP5, developed in D-76 1:0, and scanned on a Nikon Coolscan 9000. Be kind. I'm rather fond of them.

Lucky_Boy004_crop_1. Lucky_Boy001_cropped_filtered.

• Like Like x 2
  14. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    East Wind Drive In

wf-5.

wf-6.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Lucille: Reminds of the old Dairy Queen we went to when I was a kid -- open Memorial Day to Labor Day only.

16. ShawndaOates

ShawndaOates  

Jun 21, 2012
    I love these kind of places....nice photos! I am a big fan of mom&pop hotels too. These kinds of places are disappearing so fast in many area of the US. I like to support local businesses when I can. I love photographing them too.

seqvending.com

• Like Like x 1