1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Old(er) lenses and cameras found

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Akvavit, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Akvavit

Akvavit Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2012
    Dublin
    While visiting my parents, I fell over these old cameras - I think I will try to find adapters in order to try out these on my E-PM1 - you guys think it will be worth the price of a couple of china adapters?

P2290337.

P2290335.

Also along with the Carl Zeiss lens, there was this mount/adapter on the Exakta camera - not sure about the purpose - as there are no glass in it?

P2290339.

And just a few shots of the cameras

P2290336.

P2290334.

P2290333.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hellz yeah, that's a gorgeous set of glass! You definitely want to adapt and hold onto those!

As for the glass-less piece you have, that is an Extension Tube. It is used with a Macro lens to allow you to focus your glass in closer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Adapters are cheap enough and the lenses will be fun to play with, go for it. I got one of my favourite lenses from my grandfather's stash of old cameras, a Pentax 50mm f/1.4.

The tall Exakta thing is an extension tube, you can use it for macro photography. Not sure what the short thing is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Cool! Adapters are fairly cheap and old lenses are fun to experiment with. Let us know how it goes once you've taken some photos with them!

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Nice

The Yashica ML 50mm f/2 is one of my favorite legacy lenses--in fact, it's one of two I still own. It's a keeper for sure.

Here's an example:
    marina-yashica50.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Those all seem to be redundant, so I would only adapt one of them, as you aren't going to gain much by getting multiple adapters, unless one of those lenses is broken, full of fungus, etc. The Zeiss Exakta lens for sure is worth adapting, what focal length is it? The Yashica 50mm is worthwhile if you don't already have a 50mm lens adapted. I'm pretty sure the Exakta lens is a 5.8cm (i.e. 58mm), right? If so, don't waste your money on a C/Y adapter (Contax/Yashica). I'm pretty sure the Voigtlander lens isn't removable either, and it overlaps with the other focal lengths anyway.

Overall, great camera collection! Your parents definitely have style. Consider seeing if the cameras still work, and try running some film through them! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    While adapters for popular mounts are cheap and plentiful, only one of those lenses you have is in that category. That's the Yashica. Is that CSJ a Pentacon? If so, there's no P6 to M43 adapter. You'll need a P6 to M42 and then a M42 to M43. There's also no Exakta to M43 adapter. That Voigtländer is a fixed lens. So the only one of those lenses that is readily adaptable is the Yashica. You could go DIY and bust out the dremel to fit the other lenses. It might be worth it with the Voigtländer. Most fixed lens Voigtländers aren't worth much. I turn my nose up at them for anything more than $10. The CSJ and the Exakta I wouldn't butcher. It would be better to sell those off and buy glass that is readily adaptable to M43.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Since the Zeiss Jena is with an Exakta camera, I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume that it's an Exakta mount lens. :wink:
    There are definitely Exakta adapters:
    Kipon Exakta Lens to Micro 4/3 Camera Body Adapter - Micro 4/3
    exakta micro 4 3 | eBay

And I still say that if that Biotar is a 58mm, then it's worth adapting over the Yashica. The fact that it has the extension tube to play with it as a macro lens is just a triple bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    I will not normally use text-speak, but in this case; OMFG!

Very nice and I am happy for you whilst retaining a certain jealousy!

;-)

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I totally agree with this! Get the Exacta adapter and play with the Zeiss and macro extension tube. Great set there. :)

The Yashinon 50mm f/2 will be redundant with that Zeiss Biotar 58mm/2 (if that's what it is - I couldn't read the markings). However, I would still get the C/Y adapter just for the fact that there are so many other great C/Y lenses out there which are also very affordable. It's just a good adapter to have.

The Zeiss Biotar though is more desirable. That's what caught my attention off the bat, and would be my first choice to adapt for sure!

• Like Like x 1
  11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Hm... you're right. I searched for an Exakta M43 at ebay before I posted and nothing was found. Now it does show up. Maybe I typo'd.

12. Akvavit

Akvavit Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2012
    Dublin
    The CZJ (58 mm Biotar 1:2 - T) was the one that especially caught my attention too - I should get a 50mm CZJ Tessar in the mail soon, so the Yashica is not as tempting to adapt atm.

I am not sure about the old CZJ Biotar, there seem to be a bit of dust on the inside of the glass - not sure if fungus, but it does not really look like the examples I find by image searching "Lens Fungus" on Google.