Old Doe. Eastern Whitetail Deer

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Alanroseman, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello,

This is an old doe which has spent her winter eating my arborvitae. I've put down second cut hay.. she just wants the arborvitae.
    She seems to have some hind leg problems, walk almost like a dysplastic german shepherd. She runs just fine though.

Through a "winter dirty" window glass. G1- / 45-200 mm

Doe_Close.

Doe_Full_Length.

• Like Like x 4
  2. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Beautiful animal!
    And I just put in a bunch of arborvitae because I thought they were dear resistant...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ah Ha! The latin name for the Eastern Whitetail Deer is: Arborvitae Etumallus

• Like Like x 1
  4. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Well, I guess that makes the latin name of a wild Cucco - "Boneheadus Cucco"
    :biggrin:

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The appearance of the doe really breaks up the day. The first shot is soft, looks like the focus point was behind the doe. Second is better. Nice to have such open areas which can support a wide variety of large wildlife near/at/apart of your house. I'm in a suburb (sigh) ... biggest thing in the neighborhood are coyotes. She seems to have a fresh wound on the inside of her right hind leg ... which may account for the jerky movements.

Gary

6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Gary,

5:24 Am here, just dropped my wife at Logan for her visit to Surfside Beach in SC.

Yes. The doe appears to have an injury on her hock.. They do get pretty cut up when the deep snow develops an icy top, which it has. With every step their feet break through the surface and their legs slide down against the icy crust.

She spends a little time every few minutes licking her wounds. You'll note in her stance it appears as though her left flank in a tad higher than her right. This may be attributable to her stance, then again perhaps a run in with a ford or chevy.

At any rate, she's usually the last to leave the hedge row, occasionally walking around to the front to much the tree around my front lamp post.

She hasn't bothered with the hay I put out, the other deer have munched it to what looks like some satisfaction.

You're right about the focus, a little behind the head which I attribute to shooting through some very "winter dirty glass". Snow, sleet, rain, roof run off all combine to offer one a natural "soft focus filter".

My yard hosts a flock of wild turkeys, deer, bunnies, and the occasional coyote sniffing after the deer.

It's a regular wild kingdom of half starved animals..