Old Cities- Old Glass

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Currently at the top of my shopping list (in the category of relatively affordable legacy lenses).

It's nice. I had a 28/2.8 about a year ago and it was a nice lens but the 24/2.8 is in a whole different league. The 24 is sharper, focuses closer and IMHO has a bit better bokeh. It's a really nice lens. It's on the short list of lenses that I'd keep if I sold off everything else.

Kevin

Real Name
Nic
Yeah, I think that a 28mm lens just isn't quite right on a 4/3 sensor for the field-of-view it produces, plus the fact that 28mm was often the 'budget' wide-angle lens whereas the 24mm and below were virtually always a more expensive, higher-grade lens for each manufacturer.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Lens Line Up For Height

I started this thread because I have the opportunity to motor around the city and other locals frequently.

In reading along here, and in other threads, I note some folks, and I assume they're young or younger than many of us, asking about acquiring a "prime lens for portrait work", or a compact lens for street shooting. In fact the last lens on the right was recommended by Shooter in another thread.

It occurs to me that many have never seen an assortment of normal range prime lenses side by side etc. for comparison sake. It's the best way to judge for oneself how the lens might look poking out of your Oly or Panny. Remember to allow for the adapter.

Today I visited a friend... from days gone by. Mike owns and operates a small camera repair store on the East Side of Providence. I asked if he was familiar with the m43 trend etc. He allowed me to line up some primes and shoot them (unfortunately hand held) to post here for your viewing pleasure.

I also mentioned that mu-43 might be a nice place for him to visit. Hopefully he'll get onboard and make some of his lenses available via the classifieds here.

From Left to right:

MD Rokkor 45mm f.2 - MC Rokkor 55mm f1.7 - MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 - MC Rokkor 55mm f1.7 - Olympus 50mm f1.8 - Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/58555870@N04/5426406278/" title="Lens height by Alan Roseman, on Flickr">
5426406278_a8022723d5_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"640" height="165" alt="Lens height" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/58555870@N04/5426406588/" title="Lens Face by Alan Roseman, on Flickr">
5426406588_72e49955e6_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"640" height="176" alt="Lens Face" /></a>

Real Name
Nic
I was recently amused to discover that the Minolta 45/2 "Pancake" is in fact barely if any smaller than the OM Zuiko 50/1.8, both of which are shown in the picture above.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I was recently amused to discover that the Minolta 45/2 "Pancake" is in fact barely if any smaller than the OM Zuiko 50/1.8, both of which are shown in the picture above.

See, I'm only here to help....:smile:

It's nice to see them all in a row, yes? The question is, why wasn't I smart enough to put my 20mm in the row for scale...

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
It's nice. I had a 28/2.8 about a year ago and it was a nice lens but the 24/2.8 is in a whole different league. The 24 is sharper, focuses closer and IMHO has a bit better bokeh. It's a really nice lens. It's on the short list of lenses that I'd keep if I sold off everything else.

Kevin

Yeah, me too . . . unfortunately, it's been 'discovered' and prices have shot up. They've been going for about $150 on eBay, which is too rich for my budget.

As an adequate substitution I picked up a 24mm f/2.8 Sigma Super-wide a couple of months back . . . really like it, though it's much bigger than the Oly and I'm sure not as good. But still a lot of fun. I really like that focal length, and would buy a native if it existed (and were reasonably priced!).

Real Name
Nic
I've got a Sigma 24mm "filtermatic" (also enormous in size) which I found amongst my Dad's old Canon gear. It's a bit cloudy inside so is not worth using but it actually has four coloured filters internally which you can switch between by rotating a ring on the front of the lens. In 24mm legacy lenses the Vivitar 24mm f2.8 (OM mount) is my current favourite. About $AUS30 IIRC and nicely compact too. Which I guess goes to show I don't NEED an OM Zuiko 24mm, I just want one :smile:.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus

I tell you, the Olympus is just about as compact as anything pictured, including the Hexanon which was recommended by Shooter.

The Hexanon is the most compact of this grouping though...

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
...and can be every bit as good as anything pictured too :thumbup:.

Oh I'm sure it is. I stopped in and took the photo in a very short time. I could have poked around and found some Canon, Nikon glass etc.

What caught me eye was the little konica hexanon that Shooter spoke of. Once I saw it, I thought hmmmm lets see some oters in the same focal range.

While I was there I bought a MC Rokkor / 58mm 1.4 for $40. The rest were all less than that...

Alan

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom