Old Cities- Old Glass

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Alanroseman, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Folks,

While I do occasionally, I'm not "way into" shooting with legacy glass. That said it occurs to me that the older cities are filled with legacy lenses. If your fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to live in an older city, visit some of the old camera shops and have a look around.

This is from a camera store in Providence, RI. I was poking around and thought I'd shoot the shelf of what they call "Minolta" lenses... Rokkor.

The prices range from $12. to around $55. Easier than poking around on eBay.

Here's a a sample from Hunts photo.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/58555870@N04/5414087613/" title="Legacy Glass by Alan Roseman, on Flickr"> 5414087613_6bf296af42_z. "640" height="431" alt="Legacy Glass" /></a>

• Like Like x 2
  2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Wow, thanks for the idea. Now I need to find some photo stores that have been around at least 30 years. :)

3. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Which I had a store like that in Indy.... Roberts is catering to the masses now..:frown:
    They used to have a great used section.

I grew up in Ft Lauderdale Florida, and a Mom/Pop camera store (Click Camera) had many such cases with used gear, and was a Pro C/N dealer, plus sold Pentax and Minolta systems.

4. Drool. Any gems in there?

5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    There's a good assortment. If you want something special I'll look next time I'm downtown, which is about twice per week.

Also, I discovered when I gave away the f2 rokkor, it cost only $9.50 for me to send it to the Czech republic via USPS.

6. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Agree, Alan, great idea. My local camera store has a great selection of lenses and old film cameras of various formats; trouble is, they are all part of the owner's collection!! So, I just go in and drool at all classic, vintage glass.

7. Ooh, I wouldn't even know what's good when it comes to Rokkors. I just see old SLR lenses and assume that I need them.

8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Take a look at a website called therokkorfiles

They have a pretty good selection of different manufacturers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi deidre, as I mentioned, the older cities will more than likely be the best source of old glass.

Providence isn't a big city when compared to Boston, NYC etc. But there are at least 3 old timey long lived camera stores.

10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ps. I did notice a 50 mm f1.4 in perfect condition for $60.

11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Penfan,

Wow, you think there'd be some old camera stores in Hoboken, or Trenton. No?

There'd almost surely be one near a college campus that offers art, photography etc.

Have you gone poking around?

12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Here's a link to a thread on our board.

https://www.mu-43.com/f81/minolta-50mm-f-1-4-md-rokkor-image-thread-3576/

Somewhere, in one of the threads I saw a comparison of a Rokkor-Nikkor-and Canon (I think that was the grouping). They seemed pretty surprised at how the Rokkor tested.

I'm not the least bit surprised as i dragged a mile of Ektacolor, Ektachrome & Tri-X Pan across the rear element of more than one of them..

I always enjoyed the results from my old SRT series Minoltas- 101-102.

13. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Yes, there absolutely are and I have been to some of them. I stay away intentionally because I know I will start eating into my boys' college funds every time I walk in......it's hard enough to keep from poking around the marketplace on this forum and eBay!:smile:

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You know they get peanuts for this stuff.

I've messed around with the older lenses a little, but I think I'm going to be sticking with the natives primarily...

Saving for college is very very scary.... been there done that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Oh man, I would love to look around in that case. I love my Minolta Rokkor 58 1.4. The closest thing to a used case around here is the local Inkley's selling horrible zooms that were probably smashed in shipping.

I still look for that last stronghold of old cheap glass though...
    1177090138_bF3jP-M.
    epl-1 with kit 14-42

• Like Like x 1
  16. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Yes, around here it also seems the pawn shop is the last place to find value lenses.

BK

17. Thanks for the kind offer but I had best decline. I need to hold off on the lens purchases for a while. For instance I recently just bought a Rokkor 45/2 because it was a bargain price - I don't even have a Minolta adapter!

18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Guys,

I hear you.. All of you. It's fun to find it, then you leave wondering, "did I really need that?"

It does make it easy for almost anyone owning a mu-43 body to sample the fun though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    We have a little shop here called Quicksilver. I was in there the other day and they had an absolutely pristine Olympus OM 28/2.8 for $55 (even had the original box and leather case). I go in there from time to time looking for bargains. I picked up a lovely Olympus Pen-F 40/1.4 for $150 a few months back. :biggrin:

I love that place!!!

20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Yes, it's fun. Keep your wallet in your pocket...