Old 14-42 on an EP3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LDraper, Dec 19, 2011.

1. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Anyone know how the older kit lens (from an EPL1) would work on the EP3? Would the new autofocus still be effectively fast? How different are the optics on the new lens from the old one?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'm trying out options in my head :)
  2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Just tried it the old kit lens on the E-P3 is not as fast.
    The speed on the E-P3 is a combination of body and the new kit lens.
    For scenes the old kit lens on the E-P3 is more than good enough

3. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    As boyzo said, it's not as fast. I"d also add that it's not as sleek. It's not as sharp. IMHO.

I've seen a review which posted pro's and cons of the old vs the new, and concluded that they were pretty much even (optically) though the old one apparently had the edge wide open. My experiences have been the opposite.

Me and my old lens could never see eye to eye, and even on the new E-PL3, the new lens more often than not focused on where I intended it to focus, whereas the old 14-42 was pretty much hit and miss. I wasn't a fan, whereas I think the new lens is not only pretty fast AF wise, but gives me more consistent results. The new lens also doesn't suffer from the shutter blur issue at certain shutter speeds.
  4. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    defintely concur . I compare the new kit lens on my EPm1 with the old kit lens. THe new
    kit lens is much better in speed and a lot sharper.
  5. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the input. That's pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I'm wanting to get a second camera - either an EP3 or the EPM1 (form vs price) and trying to decide how important having the new kit zoom would be. I know it would be versatile, but I also would wind up with two kit lenses . . . and I'm not sure what I would do with the old one.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you use the kit lens then the new one is a worthwhile upgrade. If you don't use it, then it's not. It's really up to you and your lens needs.

I would want the new one over the old one any day, but I have no need for any kit lens at all. They are all too slow for me.

Question is, do you have any other lenses? If not, then the answer is pretty obvious - get the new kit lens or save the money towards a real upgrade if you can afford it.
  7. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the comments. I have a good collection of lenses right now. I just purchased the 9-18, I have the Panny 20, the kit lens and the only 40-150. I also have an old Nikon 501.8 and a ContaxG 45 & 90. The Contax lenses are great, but I find the manual focus fussy.

I'm wanting a new camera partially as a backup, partially to facilitate swapping lenses, and partially to enhance the focus speed. Honestly, 90% of what I do doesn't need fast autofocus - I shoot a lot of landscapes and urban 'scenics' - and the PL1 is good for that. So the fast auto focus would be for the spontaneous portrait or the occasional event when timing is much more important. Pragmatically the kit should be fine for that - if a little challenged in lower light environments. I'm partially wondering if a body-only option (used), or the kit with the 17 would make sense. It seems with my current lenses I wouldn't gain the faster autofocus - hence the question about the kit.