Okay to take a tripod in carry on?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LMPhotography, Feb 20, 2014.

1. LMPhotography

LMPhotography New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    My wife and I have an upcoming trip and I'd like to bring my MePhoto Roadtrip along but would rather not include it in the checked luggage. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with taking a small tripod through security and on an airplane. Last time I took a tripod when traveling by air it was a larger cheaper one that I just threw in my checked bag.

2. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Hi,

I consistently take a small tripod with me overseas. I have never had any problems.

3. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Have taken a Benro Mg/Al tripod to USA as cabin baggage...no issues.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    A colleague once carried one with a pistol grip. He told me that TSA and Sheriff's Office (SO) Deputies almost drew on him at first sight at the gate after leaving the aircraft. Other than that, I have not heard of anyone having genuine difficulties carrying one.

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Never had a problem with international flights. You could just call your airline ahead of time, just to be sure - but it shouldn't really be a problem.

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I only took one in my carry-on once, no issues, and it was an int'l flight (well, US to Canada, but it still counts!).

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Adding to the others. Mine was actually threaded thru a d-ring on the outside of my pack, and had no problems.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I've carried mine (Sirui T-025x which is basically the same size) several times now traveling with no issues. I've carried it inside my carry-on and also in the water bottle pocket of my backpack without any questions, comments, or problems.

I looked it up before I flew because I know hiking poles and such can sometimes be a problem. Tripods and monopods are a special case for "photographic equipment" so you get a pass on the rules that apply to other extendable items.

TSA Carry-on App - results for "Tripod"
    Are Tripods & Monopods OK For Airline Carry-On? Yes!

9. LMPhotography

Oct 9, 2013
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I will be taking the tripod in my carry-on.

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The only thing I'm wondering about for mine is the metal spikes (retractable) on the feet...

11. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Spikes can be a problem. You might consider removing them and packing them in your checked bag.

12. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I had a suitcase full of electronics and a carbon fiber tripod on a flight to Spain and it raised some concern at the X-ray. I heard them say that there were poles in the case, but that they weren't metal. They opened it and took a look and I was on my way.

Also, what color mefoto? I've got the titanium colored one and really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. LMPhotography

Oct 9, 2013
    I have a blue Road Trip.

14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Never had a problem with carryon or in checked luggage. On trips with small checked bags we go to the UPS store and ship the tripods and tourist stuff back home so we don't have to shlep it all through airports, parking lots....etc.

15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Carry the most valuable stuff with you (camera and lenses). Check in the tripod. Never had a problem. I did have one case in which there was a TSA mpyr indicating that my baggage was selected for inspection and the TSA lock was broken... no biggie.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The thing I'm shooting for more and more is going carry on only. As long as I don't need to take a suit or lots of heavy winter clothing I can probably make it work.