1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Okay... I've reach the end of my analysis.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wiley, Feb 21, 2012.

1. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I have been looking over options to upgrade my existing MFT kit (which consists of a Panasonic GF1, 7-14mm f/4, and 20mm f/1.7). Originally, I was going to move to a GX1 and add the 45mm f/2.8 to the existing lens kit. Then I got looking at the Olympus E-P3 with the new 12mm f/2 and 45mm f/1.8. I've compared the sensor output (JPG, RAW, high and low ISO) on DPReview, weighed out the plusses and minuses, and even considered mixing it up (i.e. GX1 with some Olympus glass). I've gotten great output from my GF1 kit, and if I shoot RAW it appears that the GX1 has the edge over the E-P3 (although comparing the GF1 and E-P3 in RAW at ISO 1600, the E-P3 looked slightly better to me).

But here's the thing - I thing this has gone beyond the analysis (it's obvious that both cameras and potential optical kits are capable of great results)... it has turned emotional. I absolutely love the look of the E-P3 in silver with the 12mm f/2 or 45mm f/1.8 on the front (like this one: Olympus E-P3 12mm f/2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ). I find it classically striking. The Olympus kit still has technical reasons to draw me in (like low-light street photography at 12mm with a two-full-stop advantage - without IBIS - over my 7-14mm). I can't believe it seems to have come down to this - the aesthetics of the camera itself.

Anyway, I don't think I've left any stones unturned in my technical comparison, but if anyone has something you think I might not have considered - or if you just want to reinforce my emotional response - feel free to share.

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Wait til the OM-D comes out. E-P3 prices will be sub $500 for sure.

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Look, this is not your job. Get a pretty camera you will have fun using. The difference is not worth beating yourself up about.

Don't worry, be happy.

P.S. We really buy the camera we think is cool, the justifications are just for the family CFO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I beg to disagree. The E-P3 is a fine camera. Even if the OM-D comes out, the price won't go down that fast. It will probably take a year or so before that happens...or even more.

Just my thought.

5. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    All very true - in fact, when I have a 'job' that includes photography, I usually have to use my Nikon hardware. But you're right - I'm trying not to beat myself up over it any more. That's why I came here :smile:

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I think this is a pipe dream. Olympus is bringing out a DSLR style, where as the E-p's are pens and a different beast. Each will have its supporters, not everyone is gonna drop their pen, and run out and get the OMD. Plus the pen is proven, the OMD Is still yet to be tried and tested by the masses. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, you might end up with egg on your face.

• Like Like x 2
  7. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

+1 to that!

8. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    My plan (if I make the switch to Olympus) was to **add** an OM-D to an E-P3 :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think the E-P3 is a great choice (I also love the looks of the GX1, though). The only thing I would say to keep in mind is that there are supposedly new PENs coming down the line after the OM-D release. I am guessing we won't see much about them until after we have all received our OM-Ds, but they said in a financial article that new versions were coming in the spring.

If you do decide to go for the E-P3 now, I would definitely recommend buying a mint used E-P3 here. I am not going to say they are going to plummet in value, but there are definitely more of them for sale post OM-D announcement and pricing has come down a bit.

I have a cosmetically challenged E-P3 that I decided is probably worth more to me than to someone else - I am going to use it as my more compact carry option when the OM-D arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  10. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    You never know. On FM already I've seen an E-P3 go for $520, and for $600 with a VF2.

11. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Desperate ones maybe?

12. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Well there's going to be a whole lot of used ones on the market. Mint or near.:thumbup:

13. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Not desperate. Just like to get it sold and realize the loss is just rental fee. A small rental fee at that. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I will predict that E-P3 resale values are higher after the OM-D is shipping than they are right now. All people are doing right now is hitting force refresh on this website to see the latest video shot from an OM-D while running 18 simultaneous art filters from a moving golf cart, and then scanning their house for family heirlooms to sell. Or, is that just me?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I think the E-P3 will be around $500 new from Olympus and sub $400 on the forums in a few weeks after the EM5 arrives.

Bodies always drop.

In a year, the EM5 will be selling for $600.

I think the people suggesting the E-P3 will increase or hold value include many of those owners who are trying to sell their cameras now.

(please don't burn me at the stake, I'm sharing an opinion that we can fact check in the following months and year).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The ones that have gone up for sale recently are mostly those in a panic to pay for their OMD that they've pre ordered. I'm waiting, as I may be able to organize a group buy on the OMD and save a few bucks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The reality is that both cameras are very good, and out of 100 shots, there's probably 1 or 2 situations where one will be significantly better than the other.

So put away the spreadsheets and go with your heart.

• Like Like x 4
  18. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I agree. Cameras these days are more than enough for our photography needs. So buy what your heart tells you. You will never regret it. :smile:

19. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking the E-P3 because of its look. Besides, it's not like the E-P3 is a shabby performer anyway...

I got a silver E-P3 and 12 f/2.0. I love not only the look of the camera, but also how it feels in my hand - a solid piece of gear. As a result, I take my E-P3 out to shoot more often than any of my previous cameras...

• Like Like x 1