Okay I'm back to M43 format

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ibcj, Oct 28, 2011.

1. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I was an early adopter of the Panasonic GF-1, but ended up selling it rather quickly. One of my biggest obstacles was getting used to composing with the lcd, as I am accustomed to a dslr. After a few years of shooting with my iPhone, composing with an lcd is becoming easier.

Like so many people, I have grown tired of lugging my dslr (Nikon D3) around for casual photos. After a few trips to Best Buy to check out the offerings, I settled on the E-PM1. Purchased it from Beach Camera (authorized Olympus dealer) on eBay for $444. If anyone is looking for an E-P3 with 17mm, they have several on EBay for $809, which seems to be a pretty good price.

I'm hoping to purchase the Olympus 12mm and 45mm if I get along well with the E-PM1. Time will tell. ;)

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Welcome back!

They always come home again ;)
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Haha, welcome back!
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Welcome Chris, good to see you here!
  5. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks Jonathan. You helped a great deal with my decision and your recent photos pushed me over the edge. :)

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    This is home.:smile:
  7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Glad you're liking the camera. Feel free to ask me questions here or at the other forum! :wink:
  8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons

That is a big camera though:2thumbs:
  9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    One of us. One of us. ... :friends:
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome back, Chris! :) You might also consider getting a VF-2 (or VF-3) viewfinder for the E-PM1, if LCD composing was your biggest obstacle with the GF-1. The Oly viewfinders are much higher resolution than the one that's available for the Panny GF series, and you'll be missing your DSLR less and less. ;)
  11. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Ahh, what a nice welcome...thanks everyone ! :2thumbs:

@Ned - There have been quite a number of things in the past two years that have factored into my return, specifically: improved viewfinders, a larger selection of lenses, better autofocus and a more mature format. I don't think sensor improvement has been quite as rapid, but I do look forward to that too. :smile:
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome back! I too was accustomed to DSLRs and had a hard time accepting a camera without an eye-level viewfinder. A year ago, I would have said that there was no way I could get along with a camera that lacked one. Somehow the E-P3 has broken me of that longstanding personal requirement. These days I'd rather use the rear display :eek: :smile:.
  13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

welcome back and I equate DSLR with Desktop and MFT with Laptop.An other comparison is DSLR is like a wife and if u add couple of lenses then the big family can be quite a burden where as MFT is like your girl friend- curvy , romantic , sexy , slim , - always ready to accompany u anywhere on ur fun trips. Yes if u wanna take out maximum out of girl friend then u have to buy expensive gifts for her like u have to buy fast primes for ur MFT bodies - like Oly 12mm or panny primes..lol
  14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    *ceases shunning the non-believer*

*prepares the um4/3 branding iron*

$444?! i needs it in white, or mebbe brown! is the kit zoom it comes with the iiR, or just the ii?
  15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I must be a cheating polygamous, because I have multiple DSLRs and MFT cameras! :tongue:
  16. Bhupinder2002

Lol..Yes Jonathan u r actually .But I think my comparison is quite fair. Thats what exactly happens. DSLR + couple of lens becomes headache and u start getting nervous. MFT + a sexy slim prime is like PENelope Cruz in mini skirt with u a cruise ..lol:rofl:
  17. Bhupinder2002

So I always love my PEN because I can elope with it anytime anywhere.. PENelope..lol
    • Like Like x 1
  18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Welcome back Chris! I will PM my address. Send the D3 to me and I will "dispose" of it properly!
  19. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I have DSLRs that mostly collect dust thanks to the E-P3. At times I wish it had a built-in EVF but most of the time I am happy with the LCD. In fact the touch screen on the E-P3 is so convenient for focusing on the subject anywhere in the frame and taking the shot that I actually prefer the LCD over my VF-2 or VF-1.

Long live m4/3.
  20. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    That is a good analogy. It will do the job, but certainly not easy to carry.

I really like using the lcd if I'm on a tripod, but I'm not on a tripod nearly as much as I should be. :biggrin:

LOL....this is a great analogy, but I doubt my wife would think so. :eek: I already have the 12mm en-route. :rofl:

I'm not sure which kit lens it is. I was under the assumption that any EPM1 kit would only ship with the newest lens.

John - I won't be giving it up too quickly. There are still certain situations where I absolutely need it, ie sports photos in the middle of a snowstorm. Here's an example from todays game.

Well the bad news is that Fedex couldn't deliver the camera today due to the snowstorm in my area. To make it worse, there is no home delivery on Monday, so I have to wait until Tuesday. To deal with my sorrow, I purchased the 12mm today. :thumbup: