• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Are you interested to learn about or discuss gear?

and/or

Are you here to connect with people of similar interest?

and/or

Are you interested in posting your images and getting feedback on them?

and/or

Are you here primarily to become a better photographer through discussions with peers?

and/or

Did I miss something?

Tell us more. I will pipe in later.
Yes, Pavel ...

You forgot sharing the occasional snippet of knowledge one has gained that may help someone else, somewhere. This works both ways, of course.

I also enjoy just looking at photos from all over the world. Places I will never go, and people I will never meet. From the spectacular to the mundane.

It also helps pass the time from when I take my first painkillers of the day and when I can move about without much pain. A 'world tour' before showering ...

And, to repeat what most others have said, the friendly, amiable and welcoming people here.

Not unlike the old practice of having pen friends in pre-digital times.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
This forum really helps showcase what can be done with M43 gear. I'd like to think I've improved as a photographer over the last couple years since joining, if only by learning some tips and tricks, and even pushing the limits of the gear a bit more. Being a subscribing member and seeing the EXIF data is super handy, by just seeing how low you can go with shutter, or how high you can go with ISO. Yeah, I've spent way more than I used to on camera gear, but I think that's just because it's become a primary hobby and I need to have more contentment!

Members here are great as well. Usually quite civil with logical arguments. If only there was more of that outside of this site!

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The Atmosphere here is the best. I came here from the NikonCafe (bought an EPL1 to replace my Point and shoot). Like a lot of the images posted, even post a few myself. I like the M43 gear and will never go back to the large long lenses i used to use. It's why I have subscribed for a long time and will continue to do so. I only visit too forums on the net now, this and Cloudy Nights for Astronomy. Once you've got your GAS under control this forum has lots of photography forums and seeing the images gives me inspiration.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
There is no better place to crowdsource information about M43 gear. It's helped so much that when asked to be a Mod, I did not hesitate to help maintain the congenial atmosphere of this place. I also like hanging out in areas of my personal interest (bicycles, motorcycles) and I'm self-employed and work from home so this is my watercooler.

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
I agree with the "all of the above" comments. I find the people friendly and helpful, I love seeing all the different styles and images from around the world, and I've gone on a few photowalks with members, and had a great time! (Thinking about you guys, @Crdome and @deepaqua :drinks:)
I'll be back when I have new photos share. I'm heading your way soon. Hopefully there's time to connect.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
If you have some m4/3 gear then this is the only place to be, for everyone who posts here either uses, or has used, m4/3 bodies and lens. As a result there is much to be enjoyed and learnt here, many friends to be made, and the odd insult and joke to be traded. It's a pretty interesting watering hole, with plenty of real ale and malt whiskies to hand. For entertainment, it has chess boards and chequers.

The DPR m4/3 forum, on the other hand, seems to be habitually used by many people who have never held a m4/3 camera, or perhaps have never even seen one in the flesh. Despite this, many posters still feel they are experts in the system, and just adore disparaging it, often touting such and such a body or a lens as better - even when they do not own them, either. As a watering hole it sells mainly lager and there are always blue flashing lights in the car park. For entertainment, people throw darts at each other.

Real Name
Chris
Chris, I can assure you that the equipment is not an issue. In fact no current equipment is going to stop you from producing great photos. The primary factor that determines how good your photos are is you and your skills. Go to Flickr and look at a pile of random photos. Can you tell which camera/lens they were taken with? I certainly can not. However you can quickly see the difference photographic skills make. Your equipment, however good may either fit your photographic style and subject matter or it may not. So just think of what you photograph and how you photograph and you will know which cameras and lenses are best for you.

Well, I think you have two answers here. 1. Equipment is not an issue... and 2. see what/how you photograph and you will know which camera and lenses are best for you.

For me, Equipment is an issue because I am not a photo ninja warrior and when I pick up the camera, I need it to help me. I am willing to pay a little extra for it if it does. This technolgy helpfulness is why the Iphone is so popular and why people spend money on new APPs.

For instance, I started with the Olympus EPL-1. What a great camera. However, when I tried to photograph a running and jumping dog (or even people walking) with my EPL-1 and my 40-150R, I would end up with tons of out of focus shots. Sure, I could have practiced more but... Spending money down the road on an EM1-Mkiii with the 40-150 Pro gives me a faster processor, faster shutter speeds, better focusing, and voila, better photos with my still very limited skill set.

I have found some improvements with the new eye detect features, I like the new High Resolution shots, and the starry autofocus has made Astro shooting more fun. So for me personally, equipment is an issue. I still feel that I need more dynamic range in some of my photos and I would like better tracking (i.e. with enough processing, the camera should just lock onto what I tell it and stick with it no matter what the shape). I also would benefit from some animal/bird eye detection.

All of my deficiencies could be overcome with skill because many here demonstrate that with their beautiful photos using the same or even more limited equipment. I have a PhD and worked at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. I know how to test, take notes, and get the best out of equipment. That is work however, and I am not interested in making my limited camera usage a job.

Given my situation, and general lack of practice, I can assure you that equipment has helped me take better photos at least at the margins. Many of my landscape interests would likely still be satisfied with the old EPL-1 and some HDR processing. But it is at the margins with birds in flight or other more difficult shots that the equipment has helped.

This brings me back to the original issue. Why be here. Well, this is a place where nice people hang out who happen be be experts on the equipment and techniques with that specific equipment that I am interested in. The photos are great to see to but they are also data points related to the equipment. This may be a photo sharing site for many for many but it is also an equipment knowledge management site for some. I hope it stays as both.

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
When I was younger I would read magazines like Modern Photography and Popular Photography. They covered both gear and technique. Today, photo magazines no longer exist so it's off to teh interwebz I go.

I came here because I bought an E-M10 and needed to pick brains about using it. I used to haunt a Fuji forum when I had my X10.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
So you think that the fact that most of us share the same gear here (and we seem to) is the secret sauce that binds us together? I would like to think that we are all photographers and the image creation holds us together. In that sense, the gear you use is not all that important. What are your thoughts on that?
It is part of it, Pavel, yes. But my post was more directed at the difference between the forums here and on DPR. Nothing more than that.

There is a lot more to it than that, as you have pointed out.

szczepanl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Luke Szczepaniak
Personally I come here to learn and get inspired. I don't recall how I came across this forum, maybe it was the Buy & Sell section, or maybe it was some technical aspect of my new camera... What keeps me coming back is the atmosphere on this forum; it is second to none. In stark contrast to the rest of the internet people on this forum who have differing opinions tend to have a civilized, constrictive, and informative discussion. Rarely does a thread spiral out of control.

Real Name
Chris
I think that we are on the opposite sides of the bridge here. You are more into gear, I am more into the art side of things. This forum is a bridge for us so that we can encounter each other.

Not sure we are really on opposite sides of the bridge in the grand scheme of things, just on our expectations for this site. I too like the art side of things and have 20 prints hanging in my home.

My main goal for a response was to point out that this forum is most useful for gear issues IMO and gear helps me. Your question was "what keeps you in this forum?" and that was the basis of my response.

IMO, if you are focused on the art side of things, then this forum would not be the singular place you would visit each day. The world is full of art and great photos to ponder on and based on statistics, most do not come from m43. The world is not so full of great advice on m43 equipment in a friendly environment and that is what keeps me in THIS forum.

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So you think that the fact that most of us share the same gear here (and we seem to) is the secret sauce that binds us together? I would like to think that we are all photographers and the image creation holds us together. In that sense, the gear you use is not all that important. What are your thoughts on that?
A while back Amin [site owner] queried the membership about opening this site up for all formats. A lot of folks came out on both sides of that, with many vehemently insisting that it should remain m4/3rds-focused. They obviously carried the day.

I lean way more toward your opinion on that @Pavel M , but that's not our reality as a community.

Real Name
Chris
Really??? That's pretty unusual. I have definitely learned things about my cameras and lenses from forums, and discovered ways of using that I wouldn't have thought of doing myself.
Me too. I have learned tons of useful stuff about cameras and lenses specifically from m43.com. We have some really good people on here who provide insights.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I think Pavel, and I mean this nicely, has gone to a level us normal seagulls cannot reach. Read his bio on Flickr and see what he has to offer. His photos are very cool too. The threads he has started are also intriguing, and in essence he has taken the old "it is not the camera but the eye of the photographer' phrase to truth - we've all wondered whether it's the gear or the brain, and Pavel is here to prove it's the brain. Good on him for stirring the pot of steaming gear-talk we all like to wallow in :D

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Winning comment here.

ok, let me "balance" things out with a comment many will NOT like:

The quality of images here is not very high (on average) - I mean mistakes by the photographer. Often I see things that need cropping, or even telephone poles growing out of people's heads, etc.

Contrawise, the quality of images on a largely FF forum for CanoNikonOny people (fredmiranda.com) is much much higher. I know little about the Leica forum but images seem pretty arty there, as well as at Hasselbald forums....

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
Gear, technique, images to keep me motivated are at the top of my list. A community with similar gear is helpful when you have questions, and this forum has a nice vibe compared to many other forums, helpful rather than competitive and dismissive.

POTN was where I hung out when I had Canon gear. I would say there are genres that are sparsely covered here compared with something like POTN, sports, lighting centric portraiture and weddings for example. But I don't feel the quality is significantly different, there were plenty of images with room for improvement there, even with a bigger pro community. And this forum has great examples of most genres if you look, travel and street, more creative use of art modes, great wildlife, birds and macro are all strengths of m43.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom