OK: What I want next from m43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Mar 25, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I have an OMD on order, but I am still feeling like I don't want it. I love my EPM1 size.

After much thought, I know what I want:

A new, white Pen with the OMD sensor and built in VF, and a rebuilt Panasonic 20mm mk 2. A little wider aperture (1.4 would be good, but I can still live with 1.7), and a step up in AF and better looks to match the new cameras (i.e. not that nasty grey color).

I might just skip the OMD and hold onto my EPM1 until the new Pens...Anyone feel the same?
  2. p@ul

p@ul Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2011
    Nope. The OMD has the form factor that i've been looking for.
  3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Absolutely... I like EVF but prefer the modular approach of the PEN... I only really use EVF in bright conditions or with longer lenses (for stability), so for me a new PEN with the latest sensor would be great. If it happens to have a built in EVF fine, but personally I prefer that not to be the hump solution of the OMD...
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If the E-M5 is as small as I think it is, I don't think it's THAT much larger than an E-PM1. The form factor + the long 14-50 kit makes the camera look way larger than it is. The extra controls are worth it, at least for me (I have both the E-P3 and E-PM1).

I very much doubt you'll see a PEN with a built-in VF.
  5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    E-M5 fits my needs as long as the IQ is as good as the reviews seem to indicate.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I think the hump is mainly there to hid the 5-way IBIS sensors. That IBIS is less important for me, so I could lose the hump, and be happy with built in EVF.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yes. E-PM1 is the right size, _if_ they provide an optional 'horizontal grip' for the occasional larger lens.

At this point, I'm not getting a m4/3 body that I can't stick in a jacket pocket. If it has to always be carried externally, I might as well be using a DSLR.

8. Baimei

Baimei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2011
    A Panny/Leica 180/2.0 !
    I would settle for 2.8