1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OK. What have I done!?!? Four Camera bodies!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by WT21, Nov 28, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have my old EP1, an EPL2 I got on a good price a month or so back, but my wife struggles with using both. Too many buttons, and she keeps knocking settings off (one day, she shot 150 pictures at f/16 -- "Why did these all turn out blurry?" then I try to explain and she goes "never mind. I don't want to know all that. I just don't want them to be blurry"), so I decided to get an EPM1 and see if she could use that (almost no buttons!), but having used it, I LOVE this camera, but I also was thinking about the G3 and a nice deal passed under my nose, so I grabbed it.

So, now I've got an EP1, EPL2, EPM1 and G3, and a VF2 that works on the EPL2 and EPM1. And I love them all for different reasons:

EP1: my first m43 camera. Beautiful, and always rewards patience. Also, at about $100+ net street value, it's the camera I can take anywhere and not get too worried (even into slightly off weather).

EPL2. Got it at a good price, and a very competent performer. Once of the best ergo cameras I've used at this size, pop-up flash, and good performance. I've yet to see the "red dots" either. But I'm not enamored with the wheel in back.

EPM1. Was just going to see if my wife wanted to use this one, but it is a beautiful camera. First, I got one in white. Second, it's so darn fast. Fast to turn on, fast to focus, and a lot easier to control than I thought it might be. Though it, too, has the wheel in back, it's much easier to use/control. Third, it's small. Really small. It feels about 1/2 the size of the EPL2, though of course not technically that small, but the footprint is really lightweight. Much better WB in jpgs, especially indoors.

G3. Built in EVF. I'm going to be testing IQ, but I think it's better than the pens. My Panny lenses are quieter, and it seems to me, render more richly on the G3. The grip isn't that bad (not as good as the EPL2, but better than the EP1 and EPM1). But the buttons and menus aren't my favorite. If this one stays, it will be because of IQ, not controls. G3 has a big, glowing "iA" button that could really help my wife ("honey -- push this button, and only take pictures when the iA is lit")

I only want to keep two, and now I have to decide. The combos are:

Affordable, but not wife-friendly: EP1 and EPL2
    Size-able/grip-able: EPL2 and G3
    Two Options: Bigger with EVF (G3) and pocket (EPM1)
    Great Controls: EPL2 and EPM1

Sadly, the EP1 may have to find a new home. I don't really see a scenario where I keep it :(.

(EP1 + EPL2 doesn't help my wife. EP1 + G3 doesn't give me a great "pocket" option. EP1 + EPM1 leaves me a little short on a good feeling camera in the hands that also has decent performance).

Well, I'll try some testing later this week for IQ. I might also post some camera body, side-by-side shots if folks want to see that.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Looks like the E-PM1 is a cinch to stay, so it'll boil down to the E-PL2 vs. the G3. Tough choice!

• Like Like x 1
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Given that the E-P1 has almost no street value (but lots of fun value) why not keep it? Or give it away to someone who would appreciate it? If anything, I'd say dump the E-pl2..assuming you could get what 3-350$ for it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tough choice, but I'd lean E-PM1 & E-PL2. You can share all your batteries and accessories. If you kept the G3, I'd prefer using either a GF2, GF3 or GX1 as a second camera.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Huh. Good point on the batteries...

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I have a similar problem:

GF1 - first :43: body, small, well built, comfortable with and without grip, lowest IQ of the three, built-in viewfinder is ... well, it's not (and LVF-1 is not great.)

G3 - nice built-in viewfinder and flip touch screen, smaller than GH2, better IQ than GF1, don't like the grip, build quality isn't as good, body is too thin (for me)

GH2 - also nice built-in viewfinder and touch screen, like the eye detector, best video controls, better grip (though, still not perfect), not much smaller than entry-level DSLRs (though lenses are, of course, smaller.)

I will sell at least one of the latter two - the second will be determined after I try the GX1 - but I don't know if I'll ever sell the GF1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I tend to agree that the E-P1 isn't going to get you much if you sell it so why not keep it.

As for the rest...they're all good cameras with strengths and weaknesses. I'd likely be more tempted to keep the G3 as it is an entirely different experience than the Pens (even with the VF2). That mini DSLR style handles differently and sometimes that might be useful to have that option. That and I would say don't underestimate the usefulness of that articulating LCD. Between the E-PL2 and the E-PM1 I'd probably keep the E-PM1 for spousal friendliness and speed.

If you had to go down to TWO cameras I'd vote for the G3 and the E-PM1. That gives you speed, latest sensors, two very different body styles and capabilities in a coupe of small bodies.

8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Phrenic is right, not all cameras are created equal. You can sell the EPL2 for maybe $250, the EP1 maybe for $150. That's a hundred reasons to keep the EP1. And the two of them together don't add up to the same price as a G3.

If it were me, I'd do EPM1 (for size and IS), EP1 (for style) and G3 (for IQ).

Alternatively, you could sell all of them and get a GX 1. Style and IQ in a manageable size, but the price at this time isn't very attractive, and who knows how long before you can actually get your hands on one.

9. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'd be interested. Let me know which camera you decide on selling.

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Of late, my newish (i.e, purchased as a refurb) E-PL2 with VF2 has become my grab 'n go kit of choice. I just have grown to really like it, although I realize the features of the G3 are more up-to-date. The E-PL2 feels better in my hands, even though I wish it had a thumbwheel.

Now that I've sprung for the E-P3, that becomes my #2 choice; if it works well with my longer zooms, it may permanently replace my G2 as the "big body". I've ordered the larger grip for the E-P3 in anticipation of heading that direction.

Then there's the GF1; I have some irrational emotional attachment to it, so it will likely survive the cut and be the backup (or MFT Emeritus).

In your case, the primary decision is G3 or E-PL2. You're leaning G3, I'm leaning E-PL2. No textbook answer; personal choice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dfigueroa84

dfigueroa84 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    The upcoming gx1 is 699 for the body so selling everything but the ep1 would probably net you enough to get that camera. I'd do this and never look back. Gives you an up to date sensor with metal body and g3 like IQ in a smaller body. You can keep the ep1 around while you wait for the gx1 to hit stateside. Decisions, decisions!

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Oh as an aside, I enjoy having a model from each company in different styles: an ep1 and g1. Some lenses seem to fit better on one or the other..ie primes and wide angle on ep1 with ibis, telephotos on g1 dslr style body.

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't know, I think it's a good bit smaller than an entry level DSLR:

gh3-t3i.

It's much thinner than a Rebel, too, but unfortunately the web site doesn't have a top view image of the GH2. And, as you say, add comparable lenses and the difference is magnified.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd say keep the E-PL2 and E-PM1. They both share all accessories (like your VF-2 and BLS batteries, and EMA-1 if you ever get one) yet offer different advantages over each other.

You could sell your G3 then, but since the E-P1 has little street value you should just donate it to me since mine is broken. ;)

15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Honest question: Unless you plan to buy yet another camera shortly, exactly why must you pare your kit down to two camera bodies? You have honest and legitimate reasons for liking each one. And, I agree: Keep the E-P1 since you won't get much for it. Unless you have a young relative who would appreciate it as a gift. Otherwise, I say keep them all and enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    MFT Emeritus :rofl:

So our GF1s and EP1s have white beards, and nod off to sleep, over on the right hand side during the graduation ceremonies of the newest camera bodies.

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The E-PM1 is very good at staying out of the way. Always used to have trouble with the E-P2's settings getting changed in my pack or when I wasn't using the camera. The E-PM1 has not had that problem yet. I particularly like the fact that they did away with the mode dial. Darned thing would not stay put on the E-P2.

DH

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yet, the controls are also well laid out, so the stuff you do need is easy to get to (such as EV)

19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You're a tricky one Ned.

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Camera bodies depreciate rapidly, and I can only use one body at a time (or two for a two lens kit during travel). It's like tossing money away.

But also, if I have too many choices, I don't concentrate on pictures, but rather technology, so I want to simplify.